PDA

View Full Version : Firewall and spyware question.

TranNova
2006-06-01, 22:08
Hello! I've been a fan of your software for sometime now and just recently read about how Norton was being shady. I have a Norton firewall and don't want to be dealing with a shady company that bad mouths the competition.

My question is, what firewall do you recommend? I was thinking about getting Zone Alarm Security Suite but won't if there's a better firewall/antivirus/antispyware package of there.

No matter if the firewall comes with the spyware removal tool, i'll still use and be a fan of spybot :laugh: .

Also another question of mine is how well do you think Ad-Aware works? I use both of them but Ad-Aware keeps detecting the same entries over and over again well spybot says nothing about them.

That aside, keep up the good work!

Sorry if this is the wrong section, not sure where to post it.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-01, 22:21
re: Firewall:

There is a list of some free firewalls here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
I personally use ZoneAlarm, however that is neither a recommendation nor an endorsement.

re: Ad-Aware

I personally use Ad-Aware (free) and do not experience repetitive errors, although I do have two objects excluded that relate to Spyboy's IE Tweaks settings. If you care to share the repetitive detections that Ad-Aware is getting, perhaps someone can help.

TranNova
2006-06-03, 04:12
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think there errors, but rather cookies placed by banner ads on web sites I frequently visit. They register as a TAC rating of 3 mostly. I just like to know how to block them from even getting on my computer. Maybe I should upgrade to the paid version of Ad-Aware.

Also, have you used Norton md usa spybot fan? If so, how does it fair against zone alarm? Personally I'd rather have a paid firewall rather than a free one or I would have just dropped norton like a bad habit and use the free version of zone alarm.

tashi
2006-06-03, 04:17
My personal favourite is:
http://www.kaspersky.com/antihacker-usa

Free trial. ;)