PDA

View Full Version : Question About The Process List

sixesn'sevens
2009-05-06, 07:36
Hi, I have a question concerning connection lists for the process list. I've noticed something which I think is a bit strange. The top item in the process list is [system]. I decided to check which apps were connected to where and noticed that [system] was connected to several different addresses. Shouldn't I only see connections listed for other apps and not system? What does system represent? Is it all the active connections as a whole, or is it a separate item?

These connections changed accordingly as I browsed different websites. I'm just not sure if I should be seeing any connections going through system. I'd like to add that about 2 minutes later I checked the connection list for system again and it was empty (while my apps and browser were still connected to those addresses).

Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Thanks

sixesn'sevens
2009-05-11, 22:01
Can anyone please answer this?

I checked the [system] process this time around and it had no connections which seems unusual to me since it wasn't this way last time. I also have two 'system' processes and one of them is in brackets and I'm not sure if I should. Can anybody please clarify these things for me?

Matt
2009-05-12, 10:16
Hi sixesn'sevens,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. ;)

Can you add a screenshot for me? :thanks: