PDA

View Full Version : Very slow Scan

hschiff
2009-05-07, 23:03
I recently installed spybot1.6.2 and everything seemed fine. I was able to immunize and when I went onto SS&D and checked the "find problems" button the scan started- but it took forever. Hours and hours and the lower scan button showed it going very slowly. I finally stopped the scan.

When I tried it in Safe Mode", it scanned perfectl in 15 minutes or so, found 103 problems and fixed them without delay. Can anyone suggest why it runs so slowly in normal mode and I would welcome any suggestions to fix this problem.

Matt
2009-05-07, 23:41
Hi hschiff,

I think that these 103 problems were the reason why Spybot needs so much time. Can you remember which Malware was found by Spybot?
If you have scanned your computer in safe mode and fixed these problems, please run in normal mode again and tell me if your scan is still very slow. :thanks:

Did you or do you still have Signs of Malware (http://www.virusvault.us/signs1.html) ?

If you want an analyst to have a look on your computer, please tell me and I'll give you some links. ;)

Edit:
Which operating system do you use? How much RAM do you have?

hschiff
2009-05-08, 00:00
I ran a scan in Normal mode right after problems were fixed and it was still very slow. I ran a scan in Malware bytes and it came up with nothing. Most of the 103 problems found by my scan in Safe Mode were low or medium risk items like cookies. Everything on my computer runs very well except for the slow scan with spybot.

drragostea
2009-05-08, 00:17
Is there anything in your Directories window (Spybot>Advanced Mode>Directories)?

Try clearing out your cookies first and then scan again. Make sure nothing else is running (except background processes) during a scan.
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25
-

hschiff
2009-05-08, 03:13
that when I installed Spybot I got the following message:
"Error creating Reg Key: HKEY_Local_Machine\software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} Reg Key Exfailed.Code6. The handle is invalid.
I clicked on ignore and the installation continued and finished. But perhaps this is the reason my scan is so slow. Do you have any idea what this error is and how I can fix it?

drragostea
2009-05-09, 01:53
Try clearing out your cookies first. The error most likely had to do with SDHelper (IE Resident Shield). But I don't think that has anything to do with your slow scans.

Can anyone suggest why it runs so slowly in normal mode and I would welcome any suggestions to fix this problem.
So it still occurs even after you fix the cookies?