PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 and SB 1.6.x

Fembot44
2009-05-12, 09:17
My father has a computer that runs Windows 2000, and I have an old Sony VIO laptop that also runs Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4/sr1+, with all 108 patches. ( I know because my VIO has never needed a reinstall, and my fathers machine needs one every month ). I have machines that are running Windows 7 beta, but the Sony is a favorite because of its small size, and relitivly large screen.

With Windows 2000, after install if it finds anything that needs deletion, the startup deletion box repeats until the machine crashes. ( somewhere about 40,000 now that my fathers machine has 768MB of ram ).

So, I asked about it before, with Spybot 1.6, and someone said to try it again. I try it once a month, when I reinstall Windows 2000 ( Which is now down to about 45 mins ).

Yet, Spybot 1.5.2, which now is impossible to get, works perfectly. It also updates, runs the latest detection engine. Its just the new application does something diffrently. I look at the startup options, and its exactly the same. There is something diffrent in how system protection works, that breaks with Windows 2000. ( Raw, or with SP1 or with service rollout 1 )

You can argue that Windows 2000 is 9 years old, but the SP4/sr1+ is only 4 years old.

I read today, that SaferNetworking is going to halt support for old versions, and now allow the update engine to work. Well, soon, I will not be using/recommending it. I have other alternatives, and other ways to doing what it does, but not as easily nor eligantly. I have recommend two large enterprise customers, one of which is still using the software.

Everyone go out and throw away $1,000 on new hardware in honor of the ultimate progression of Microsoft garbage. ( I still know of at least one user who is on a H19 with CP/M ).

I have posted this before, and gotten some bit of help, on how to stop the behaivour, but not to fix it. ( other than to start in safe mode, edit the registry, and then startup normally ).
I have decades of computer experence, having started with punched cards in the late 60s, and have worked at computer support for the better part of 40 years.

What to do? You are obiviously going to drop support for Windows 2000 rather quickly, and not fix the problem irregardless, and Ill have to post and publish work arounds, and support users still using W2k Server. ( yea, it runs fine with 4 instances on W2k+3 ).

Lets see if Microsoft gets a clue, and make all this irrelevent, like... floppy disks?

bitman
2009-05-12, 16:26
I'm not sure what your Spybot S&D problem is, since you discussed it in less than two sentences and didn't state what module was creating the messages or what those messages actually were.

I am running exactly the same Windows 2000/SP4 fully patched and Spybot S&D 1.6.2 w/TeaTimer & SDHelper operated perfectly both before and after a recent ground up rebuild from format. Even when I receive TeaTimer pop-ups I can control them completely and I've never experienced what you are describing.

That doesn't mean your issue isn't real, it just means it's not 'normal'. So you need to step back from your assumptions and begin to look at what else might be causing the issue, including doing a better job of describing the issue here so we might help you understand it.

Bitman