PDA

View Full Version : Spybot - S&D does not start

Comebackkid
2009-05-15, 18:06
greetings from germany

First of all, I used Spybot for over a year and always without any problems. But since about 1 month it does not start anymore and I'm close to reinstall Windows XP, just to make sure it's not the fault of a change, caused by a programm like tune up utilities registry cleaner or whatever.

What I did so far:
I completely reinstalled Spybot S&D, removed the last existing folders of it and cleaned everything in my registry, what was not removed by an uninstalling. I rebootet several times after uninstalling, clearing registry and so on. Still, after installing Spybot and I try to run the .exe, absolutely nothing happens. Though updating works without any problem, the main programm does not start. But though it does not start, I can see the progress running by opening the Windows task manager. If I run it two times, it appears twice as an active progress, with the same details as the first got (same CPU usage, which is actually 00, and the the same memory usage, about 2.900K).

Can anyone help me out?

I apologize for every mistake that I eventually made, I tried my best :D

Matt
2009-05-15, 19:20
Hi Comebackkid,

you're from Germany? Me too... :bigthumb:

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums.

You know that there is a german subforum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=15) ?

Please feel free to post in the german subforum, if you are from Germany. ;)
If you don't like to post there, let me know. :thanks:

Comebackkid
2009-05-15, 19:35
Oh my, didn't notice

thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to post the same problem right there

Matt
2009-05-15, 19:40
Hi Comebackkid,

thank you for this update. :)

rosede
2009-05-15, 19:52
I'm having the exact same issue. S&D seems to start, because I can see it in the process table, however, the program never shows up. I removed it, downloaded the most recent version and reinstalled, but still, the program doesn't show up. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Daryl

Matt
2009-05-15, 20:13
Hi rosede,

Try to open Spybot like md usa spybot fan wrote here (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=294582&postcount=3), also in safe mode.

Do you have Signs of Malware (http://www.virusvault.us/signs1.html) ?

rosede
2009-05-17, 15:18
Matt,

Just want to say thanks for the reply. The link that you suggested is exactly what was going on. However, I never could remove whatever was changing SpybotSD.exe. I finally gave up & reformatted and started all over. But at least now I know what else to look for if this problem ever occurs again.

Daryl

Matt
2009-05-17, 21:24
However, I never could remove whatever was changing SpybotSD.exe. I finally gave up & reformatted and started all over.

Before you format your hard drive, you can always open your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum here at Safer Networking. An analyst will help you there. Lots of guys format their hard drive without doing this step... :rolleyes:

Happy Safe Surfing!