PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer Runs After I Remove Spybot

bobelliot1321
2009-05-22, 04:27
Hello Everyone

I had loaded an earlier version of Spybot some months ago, and was able to run it when I invoked it.

About a month ago, I uploaded the latest version and my computer went very sluggish. I checked into this forum, and found that Teatimer can make demands on Virtual Memory - my computer's probably getting up there in age. I did a little background work and decided to remove the new version of Spybot, to try to go back to the older one that I would just run when I felt it was needed. I uninstalled Spybot, but found that performance was still very sluggish.

Looking into this more, I found out that in some cases Teatimer.exe will still be on the computer, and it was on mine. I tried to find out where this file was, but although I saw a folder in Program Files that was about 4 MB long, there was no file that I could see. I deleted the folder, but still no change to the sluggish performance. I even went into MS-DOS (I run Windows XP Home, go to Run, type cmd) and couldn't see it in there.

I then tried to call up the Windows Task Manager. Go to tab Processes and when I start my computer, as soon as Windows boots up, I call up Task Manager > Processes and can see Teatimer running (and gobbling up a whole load of my computer's virtual memory - so that's the problem). I then highlight Teatimer, and then hit End Process, located at the bottom right. After asking me if that's okay, I hit it and my computer performance comes right back!

Sorry for this long winded enquiry. I first thought it useful to share to the group a way of getting rid of Teatimer running since there seemed to be few instances of problems with it, but my question to the forum is:

How can I remove Teatimer if I can't see where it is? I run Windows Explorer > Search, and it doesn't turn up anything.:)

Thanks alot,

Cheers,

Bob

md usa spybot fan
2009-05-22, 13:54
bobelliot1321:

Run the System Configuration Utility and delete the startup item TeaTimer.
Click Start, select Run
In the Open box, type "msconfig" (no quotes).
Click OK.
In the System Configuration Utility GUI select the Startup tab.
Locate the following Startup Item and delete it:
TeaTimer
Reboot your system.
Delete the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
_____

The reason you can not see TeaTimer.exe is because starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.