PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Computer!

happylove
2009-05-24, 00:34
Hello, the last week or so my computer has been running very slow. Can someone direct me in the right direction of things to try? I ran Spybot S&D, and Malawarebytes, which found a BHO (I believe) and I removed it. I tried to do a previous restore and no matter which date I pick, it tells me it's unable to do it. Please help! Thanks.

Joyce

tashi
2009-05-24, 04:21
Hello happylove,

Do you believe the computer could be infected?

If so, "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then copy and paste the HJT log into a new topic.

Regards. :)

happylove
2009-05-24, 04:36
Hello, I don't think it's infected, it's just running really slow. Not sure what's going on. I can't restore to a previous point, even though it gives me the options to pick certain dates.

tashi
2009-05-24, 06:17
Hi there,

It would be helpful in troubleshooting if you gave details about the machine in question. ;)

happylove
2009-05-24, 17:11
Hi, I am running Windows XP, I use Mozilla Firefox instead of IE. My computer is an HP 819N. I just looked at the Malwarebytes log from 5/21 and the recent problem I found was Trojan BHO and Adware Coupons and I removed them, ran the scan again and it was clean. Here are the keys affedted:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9e91ef7b-6846-45c3-a8ab-67cf7c900783} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I ran a scan yesterday and today and it found nothing. I'm wondering why my computer is running so slow and it's taking a long time to bring up websites. Thanks.

Joyce

drragostea
2009-05-25, 04:10
It might be a good idea to follow tashi's instructions. Better safe than not looking at all.

happylove
2009-05-25, 14:22
tashi, should I run HJT and send the log? I did run S&D and nothing was found. Thank you.

tashi
2009-05-25, 16:15
Hi there,

Hello, I don't think it's infected, it's just running really slow.

There could be several reasons the computer is slow, unrelated to a malware infection, how much RAM (memory) do you have?

tashi, should I run HJT and send the log? I did run S&D and nothing was found. Thank you.

It's up to you but if you'd like the machine checked out.

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then copy and paste the HJT log into a new topic.

That would be in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

Cheers

happylove
2009-05-26, 03:19
I have 504 MB of RAM. I'll wait for your response before posting an HJT log. Thanks again.

tashi
2009-05-26, 17:12
Hi happylove,

That is enough RAM to run XP but your computer may be sluggish if you have a lot of CPU intensive programs running.

What is the size of the Hard drive and how much free space is available?

Regards.

happylove
2009-05-26, 23:53
Hi Tashi, the total size of my hard drive is 180 GB, with 113 GB free. I'm wondering about that Trojan.BHO that Malwarebytes removed. I think maybe there is some leftover stuff from that. I think I will post the log in the proper forum, and see what happens with that. If you have any more suggestions, I sure do appreciate it.

tashi
2009-05-27, 00:00
Hi there,

Yes go ahead and start a topic in the Malware forum, if the PC is clean you will be directed to a tech forum.

Cheers.