PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get SpyBot to scan

Robert45
2009-05-24, 04:06
I have been using spybot quite sucessfully for a while. Two days ago I went to run a scan. I downloaded the update with no problem by right clicking the small icon at the bottom of my screen. However, when double clicking the Spybot icon the hourglass came on for approximately 20-30 seconds and nothing happened. I tried turning the machine off and then on. Same results. I turned off the machine and opened up Windows in the safe mode, still same results.

I then guessed I might have a virus of some kind, so I deleted Spybot using the add/remove panel. I then downloaded Spybot. Bottomline, same results.

Looking a little further after I had supposely deleted Spybot I looked to see what files were still in the folder and it appeared there were two large spybot files (~5 MB) still on my computer. The computer would not let me delete them.

May not have anything to do with the above problem, but I have found I can not defragment my hard drive. The other strange thing is after my machine sits unused for approximately 30 minutes a song will play one time and then about 30 minutes later it will play the same song again. The machine does not show any files being open while these songs are playing..

Any help would be appreciated. Spybot has worked well in the past. I not not very computer savy so please keep the responses basic.

Thanks,

Robert45

Matt
2009-05-24, 10:52
Hi Robert45,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums. :)

I have been using spybot quite sucessfully for a while. Two days ago I went to run a scan. I downloaded the update with no problem by right clicking the small icon at the bottom of my screen. However, when double clicking the Spybot icon the hourglass came on for approximately 20-30 seconds and nothing happened. I tried turning the machine off and then on. Same results. I turned off the machine and opened up Windows in the safe mode, still same results.

I then guessed I might have a virus of some kind, so I deleted Spybot using the add/remove panel. I then downloaded Spybot. Bottomline, same results.

Sometimes Malware blocks Spybot from running. :fear:
I can't say definitively that you are infected, but to make sure, I would like you to do that (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=304562&postcount=2). :thanks:

May not have anything to do with the above problem, but I have found I can not defragment my hard drive. The other strange thing is after my machine sits unused for approximately 30 minutes a song will play one time and then about 30 minutes later it will play the same song again. The machine does not show any files being open while these songs are playing..
Sounds not good, because you are, in a way, describing Signs of Malware (http://www.virusvault.us/signs1.html)... do you have more of them? :fear:

Any help would be appreciated. Spybot has worked well in the past. I not not very computer savy so please keep the responses basic.
I hope that my explanations in the first Link are easy to understand. ;)

Thanks
You're welcome.

Happy Safe Surfing for the future.