PDA

View Full Version : Unknown and weird -- Possibly PAV?

amigan_1
2009-05-26, 22:38
Hi All,

First, thank you for having spent all the time and effort in helping me, in the past. This time I am writing to you because something is occurring with my niece's computer.

She is running an HP laptop with a Pentium M. She has MS XP Pro SP3.

My niece came to me when she kept getting all sorts of messages, including a "Personal Anti Virus" program display. She was smart enough to not fall for that.

Along with that, there were several warnings that she had a virus from FormSpy, etc.., plus a virus attached to both her Acrobat reader, and a flash add-on for her IE. When I tried to use her IE to go to sites, I got blocked. Luckily, she has Safari, which allowed me to update her AVG, AdAware AE, and SB S&D.

I ran those programs and first found nothing. On running them a second time, Spybot found one of the incarnations of the PAV virus and got rid of it. I then ran the system through Kaspersky's online scanner. That came up with nothing.

Since I was rebooting the system, and I knew that many programs attach themselves to the Restore file, I disabled the Restore function.

The last time I rebooted, I chose to use Safari as the default browser. This allowed me to locate and delete the PAV files, which I found using the search facilities of MS Win. I then ran the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs again, and came up clean.

When I again rebooted, I tried using the IE. I got weird actions on a site I usually use. That told me something was quite wrong. I then installed and ran "HijackThis." The log file is below.

Please note, the Restore feature is still off.

I await your suggestions.

Thank you, in advance.

Regards,

Julian Aronowitz

Hijack This ---

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:42:29 PM, on 5/25/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16827)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\shared\hpqwmi.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=laptop
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: &Helper - {2E59498D-7E44-4452-9044-0973B080B9E8} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\winexplorer.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] "%ProgramFiles%\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPStart] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [realteks] "C:\Documents and Settings\Faith\Application Data\Google\uwxhn7924753.exe" 2
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PAV] C:\Program Files\PAV\pav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C120 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICCA.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SCB.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
O4 - Global Startup: BTTray.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius.com/download/software/win/ActiveXPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\shared\hpqwmi.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 8999 bytes

pskelley
2009-05-27, 13:42
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Hi Julian, some real junk has gotten on her computer, see this:
http://htlogs.com/winexplorerdll-is-trojan-bho-that-installed-with-personal-antivirus/
http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/personal-antivirus
http://www.prevx.com/filenames/1887123836141896777-X1/UWXHN7924753.EXE.html

If you still want help we will start the removal process like this.

1) Please DO NOT ENABLE Spybot S&D TeaTimer while we work together.

2) Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your Desktop
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.besttechie.net/mbam/mbam-setup.exe <<< download

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt
* Please post contents of that file & a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Tutorial if needed:
http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/tutorials/2282-malwarebytes-anti-malware-mbam.html

3) Post also an uninstall list: Open Hijackthis.
Click the "Open the Misc Tools" section Button.
Click the "Open Uninstall Manager" Button.
Click the "Save list..." Button.
Save it to your desktop. Copy and paste the contents into your reply.
Image: http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hijackthis/uninstall-man.jpg

Thanks...Phil

amigan_1
2009-05-27, 17:59
Hi Phil,

Thank you for your fast reply. Once I have done all, I will upload the things you want.

I found out a few possible ways my niece got that crap into her system:

1) She thought she is supposed to run the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs everytime she updates them, because that is how her father, my brother does it;

2) She uses AOL mail and AIM;

3) And, she uses certain movie sites to view movies, etc.

On the good is her not opening unknown attachments and E-Mail.

As said, just a little info, in the event any of the sites she uses might be known to harbor malware.

Kind regards,

Julian.

amigan_1
2009-05-28, 19:51
Hello Phil,

As instructed, I downloaded, installed, updated, and ran MBAM; and, followed all its instructions. I saved the log file.

I then ran HijackThis and saved its log file. Then I saved the "Uninstall List."

Below are the three listings as requested.

BTW, when should I re-enable the "System Restore" function?

Julian.

MBAM Log File
--------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2188
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/28/2009 1:22:49 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-28 (13-22-49).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 128715
Time elapsed: 46 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2e59498d-7e44-4452-9044-0973b080b9e8} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{2e59498d-7e44-4452-9044-0973b080b9e8} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{2e59498d-7e44-4452-9044-0973b080b9e8} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\pav (Rogue.PersonalAntiVirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\realteks (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winexplorer.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Faith\application data\Google\Shell32.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-----------------------------------------

HiJackThis Log File
------------------

Scan saved at 1:28:55 PM, on 5/28/2009

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=laptop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] "%ProgramFiles%\HPQ\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C120 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATICCA.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SCB.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=presario&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius.com/download/software/win/ActiveXPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\shared\hpqwmi.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 8876 bytes

------------------------------------------------

HiJackThis Uninstall List
-----------------------

Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8.1.2 Security Update 1 (KB403742)
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Reader 8.1.2
Adobe Shockwave Player 11
AIM 6
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
ArcSoft PhotoImpression 6
ArcSoft Print Creations
AVG Free 8.5
Bonjour
Broadcom 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter
Collapse! Deluxe
Conexant AC-Link Audio
Critical Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB959772)
EPSON C120 User's Guide
EPSON Printer Software
getPlus(R)_ocx
HijackThis 2.0.2
Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)
Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
HP Help and Support
HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology
HP Update
HP User Guides 0001
HP Wireless Assistant
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
InterVideo WinDVD
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Java(TM) 6 Update 13
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
Learn2 Player (Uninstall Only)
Mah Jong Tiles Deluxe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
MobileMe Control Panel
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
muvee autoProducer 4.0 - SE
OpenOffice.org Installer 1.0
Opera 9.27
Quick Launch Buttons 5.10 B2
QuickTime
RealPlayer Basic
REALTEK Gigabit and Fast Ethernet NIC Driver
REA's TESTware for the AP World History
Safari
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB960714)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB963027)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958690)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960715)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB961373)
Sibelius Scorch (ActiveX Only)
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Sonic Audio Module
Sonic Copy Module
Sonic Data Module
Sonic Express Labeler
Sonic MyDVD Plus
Sonic Update Manager
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SpywareBlaster 4.2
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 drivers.
Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
VC 9.0 Runtime
VC 9.0 Runtime
Viewpoint Media Player
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - (v9.0.30729)
Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - v9.0.30729.01
Windows Imaging Component
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Format SDK Hotfix - KB891122
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Presentation Foundation
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Zone Deluxe Games
ZoneAlarm
ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker

pskelley
2009-05-28, 22:16
BTW, when should I re-enable the "System Restore" function?
Sometime removing the malware restores that function, sometimes it takes more work. Just don't let me close the topic until it is working right.

Uninstall list: I look for malware and security issues and will not know all of your programs, but you should.
Hackers are using out of date programs to infect folks more and more,
Here is a small free tool that lets you know when something needs an update if you are interested:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ While PSI runs in the System Tray for realtime notifications, I personally prefer to turn it off in MSConfig and run it from All Programs when I want to do a check.

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX <<< check this one:
Adobe recommends all users of Adobe Flash Player 10.0.12.36 and earlier versions upgrade to the newest version 10.0.22.87
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb09-01.html

Adobe Reader 8.1.2 <<< out of date and unsafe, see this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10081618-83.html?tag=nl.e433
http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2009/04/update_on_adobe_reader_issue.html
http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/
(if you want a smaller program, look at this one)
Foxit Reader 2.3 for Windows (make sure to uncheck any toolbars)
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
These are out of date and unsafe, uninstall them:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=12880&postcount=2

Viewpoint Media Player
For your information, Viewpoint is installed by aol probably without your knowledge. I suggest you uninstall this resource waster in Add Remove programs.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/nov4.php#viewpoint
http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_137262.htm

ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker <<< adware, uninstall this:
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2007/12/beware-of-zonealarm.html
http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/installations/askjeeves-banner/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3143

Follow these directions carefully.

Adwatch my block us, disable it until you finish:
Right click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
At the bottom of the screen there will be two checkable items called "Active" and "Automatic".
Active: This will turn Ad-Watch On\Off without closing it
Automatic: Suspicious activity will be blocked automatically
Uncheck both of those boxes.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune ttp://www.atribune.org/public-beta/ATF-Cleaner.exe
Save it to your Desktop. We will use this later.

Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...ario&pf=laptop

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

Run ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
Click the Empty Selected button.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

*Cleaning Prefetch may result in a few slow starts until the folder is repopulated:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Gaining-Speed-Empty-Prefetch-XP.html

Post a new HJT log and tell me how the computer is running.

Thanks

amigan_1
2009-05-31, 19:54
Hello Phil,

As requested, I have done what you suggested. I will have the new HJT log at the end of this note.

I am convinced that, not only are you correct about AOL placing software on computers which are not needed, but, as long as you are using ANY of their software, those programs are written to also check to see that you have installed ALL the software AOL wants you to have! Thus, should you eliminate any truly unneeded program (not even needed by and for use with AOL stuff), you will get a message that you need to download and install that program. This is just one reason I am against the use of AOL. Another reason is their not fully deleting files they upload to the user, to use in the installation of programs and other files, thus eventually destroying an harddisk drive's ability to function, or even to be properly reformatted.

Since my niece is the one who must test out the computer, we will have to wait until she comes by my place to pick up her computer. I will report it back to you.

I intend to place Partition Magic v. 8 on her computer, to create a boot partition; a partition which would get the browsers' cookies and histories, and downloaded programs; and a partition to contain those programs which are not necessary in running the computer, like office suites and games. I also have instructed her to place all her created data onto a removable drive, like a pendrive. This way, should she again get a virus or other malware, the chances are only her boot partition will be infected. In that case, should a reformat be needed, only that partition would need reformatting and reinstalling.

Thank you for your time and patience.

I had to manually activate the "System Restore" feature, which went smoothly. I did this after rebooting and doing the HJT test, and then rebooting again.

Thank you, also, for telling me how you go about checking for files which do not belong (potential malware). I now have an idea of how to use HJT to check for such items. This allows me to be more helpful for myself, for my friends, and for my clients. It also allows me to be able to give a more educated request to experts as yourself.

Kind regards,

Julian Aronowitz

HiUack This
-------------

Scan saved at 3:01:16 PM, on 5/30/2009

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ZoneAlarmSB Uninstall] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1.DLL,O -3
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2iexp.dll

--
End of file - 8978 bytes

pskelley
2009-05-31, 20:42
You still have Viewpoint showing is this: Scan saved at 3:01:16 PM, on 5/30/2009 HJT log. If you have run the uninstaller and it did not remove it, follow these directions. Though I do not allow aol anything on my computer, you should be able to run AIM without installing it. It is very important that the EULA is read carefully before any installation, even updates. Legally, they do have to tell you what they are going to install, but few folks take the time to read that information and opt out.

1) Disable the Service
Click Start > Run and type services.msc
Scroll down to Viewpoint Manager Service and right click on it.
Click Properties and under Service Status click Stop, then under Startup Type change it to Disabled.

2) Open Task Manager:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/four-ways-to-open-task-manager/
then under the Processes tab, End Process on this item:

3) Navigate to this folder in red and make sure it has been deleted.
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
Empty the Recycle Bin on the Desktop.

I suggest from looking at this HJT log, that this information will help the computer run better.
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/runningslowly.php
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87058&st=0&p=487112&#entry487112
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

While hackers are learning more and more how to hide from HJT, it is still a very useful tool. See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial42.html

Let's see if we can wrap up like this.

Clean the System Restore files like this:

Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Reboot

Turn ON System Restore,
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Update MBAM and scan to be sure we missed none of the junk, there is no need to post a clean scan result.
(MBAM is yours to keep if you wish, keep it updated and run it once a month or so)

Update AVG8 and scan the system, to be sure it is running right and scanning clean.
Good AVG information:
FAQ: http://www.avg.com/faq
AVG Free Forum: http://freeforum.avg.com/

If all is well at this point, let me know and I will close the topic.

Some good information for you:
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/mcgill1.mspx

Here is some great information from experts in this field that will help you stay clean and safe online.
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

http://www.malwarecomplaints.info/

Thanks...pskelley
Safer Networking Forums
http://www.spybot.info/en/donate/index.html
If you are reading this information...thank a teacher,
If you are reading it in English...thank a soldier.

How hard are your passwords to crack?
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/checker.mspx

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/Links.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/protection.mspx
Improve the safety of your browsing and e-mail activities
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/browsing.mspx

amigan_1
2009-06-04, 02:23
Hello Phil,

I followed your advice. I even got rid of Viewpoint, totally. I used the Add/Remove Programs facility in the Control Panel.

The result of all was to have a nicely running computer. In fact, I have installed "Partition Magic" v. 8, to be able to create partitions for my niece's benefit. I created a small (5 gig) partition to place all the temporary internet files (cookies, etc.) and needed downloads. I also created a large partition to house her regular programs which do not demand to be in the C: drive/partition.

Thank you for your help.

I do have a general question (not directly connected with this thread), and a comment.

First. Other than the prior Java updates (Java, JTE, etc.) which I know can be deleted, without adverse effects, are there any other listings of updates, which I see in the Add/Delete lisiting, that I can also delete? It would be nice to get rid of junk.

Second (This is more of a warning). If you have not installed IE 8, do not do it. It cludges up the system. I do not know why it is slowing everything down, when other programs start up, but it does -- even when IE, itself is starting up.

And, then there is the URL bar, which when you click on that down-facing arrow to get the listing of the last set of sites visited, you only find out that there is now a delete gadget almost in the middle of each line. What makes this bad is that the gadget only shows itself as the mouse pointer is on the line that has that past URL. So, as you think you are clicking on that URL, to automatically load into the URL bar, you are actually deleting that URL from the listing!

The only reason I have not gone back to version 7 is because I figure MS will figure out the screw ups and put forth a fix. Unfortunately, they have not done so yet.

Again. thank you for all of your help.

Kind regards,

Julian Aronowitz

pskelley
2009-06-04, 12:18
Thanks for the feedback, I will be a while before I move to IE8:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=IE+8+consumes+more+RAM+than+Windows+XP&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ie+8+review&aq=1&oq=IE+8+&aqi=g10

If you are asking about the uninstall list, you can uninstall anything you wish, depends on what she uses and needs. For instance, most OEM installations include QuickTime, RealPlay and Windows Media player, sometimes more. I use WMP11 so I remove the others as soon as the computer comes out of the box. OEM installers get $$ for including the junk.

Safe surfing...Phil