PDA

View Full Version : Why does scan start at 29/32 instead of the beginning?

boe377
2006-06-04, 00:45
In the past, when I started a Spybot S&D scan, the scan would begin and the scan progress indicator at the bottom of the screen would start at the far left and work its way to the right as the scan progressed.

Now when I run the scan, the indicator at the bottom of the screen starts out about 7/8ths of the way accross and indicates it is starting the bot check at 29/32 as opposed to 1/32, I assume. So I am wondering why this process has changed and if something might be wrong.

This is probably a common question with a simple answer, but I didn't see anything in the FAQ's or by doing a Forum search.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-04, 05:41
It does not look like you are doing a full scan. Did you just install Spybot?

Try exiting Spybot and starting it again.

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar shows the following: "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count
yyyyy = Total check count
zzzzz = Malware being checked for
After the 2006-06-02 updates (without the ßDetection rules) the scan counts (yyyyy value) should be:
Without Usage tracks - 40254
With Usage tracks – 42853
If the counts are not correct:
Go into Spybot > Help > About. Check and make sure that you have the latest updates. You should see the following:
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Latest detection update: 2006-06-02
If you have the latest updates, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (say "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the possibly the last two items. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies and some Logs. The second is other "Usage Tracks".

boe377
2006-06-05, 02:57
I've been running Spybot for about six months and keeping it up to date. Check.

However, when I went into File Sets, I noticed that the main Spybot S&D box was checked, but none of the sub-boxes under that. Same with usage tracks.

I checked off all the sub-boxes and ran the program. Now it is working the way it used to: the bot-check indicator starts at the left side at the bottom of the screen and works its way across checking a total of 42853 items.

So thanks for the fix. I have no idea how those got unchecked and was worried it might have be malware or something trying to hide out. But the scan came up clean.

boe377
2006-06-05, 03:01
Somehow I reposted my original post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Going into the File Sets did the trick. Somehow the subfolders got unchecked. I rechecked them and ran a scan and it worked like its supposed to.

(I've had the program six months and keep it up to date etc)