2009-06-03, 05:22
I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me out here :hair:

Couple days ago, Spybot detected and supposedly "fixed" the following:

My 811 Toolbar Hijacker

Morpheus Toolbar

Am still having bizarre symptoms:

Some entity is changing my taskbar settings

Administrator and User settings were mysteriously changed

While online, my Opera browser (I avoid IE as much as possible) started getting real slow (which has never done before) and when I clicked the "close" icon a message popped up saying something to the effect of, "Another user is using this version of Opera, closing now may cause them to lose information."

Relevant info:

OS- Vista Basic (It came with the computer)
I acquired internet service through the cable company this week- Prior to that I had to use public Wi-fi for about a week(dumb but necessary)
I am the ONLY person with access to this computer
It is NOT set up to accomodate remote access
I have Spybot SD and Avira and Windows Defender (Firewall is always on)
I am EXTREMELY discriminating about which websites I visit and the browser is set to block all pop-ups and never accept cookies.

By the way, I discovered a couple of folders:

Temp1_psyco.zip and Temp1_python24.zip

(python has a file called MozillaCookieJar.pyc and a subfolder called "curses" among other things) I assume the Mozilla thing is a leftover from when I used to have Firefox installed :confused:

Both folders are full of PYC files. I do not know what a PYC file is used for and I do not know if these folders are supposed to be there so I have done nothing to alter or remove them. The names sounded weird and I don't recall seeing them before so I figured I should ask about it. (When in doubt, do nothing!)

Plenty thanks in advance if someone can advise me on this.

:scratch:

shelf life
2009-06-05, 02:59
Hi,

Need a starting reference point. Read this about installing, using and posting a hjt log:

HiJackThis log - Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

download:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

* Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
* Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
* Click on Install.
* It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
* Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log (no attachments) in your reply.