PDA

View Full Version : does the June 9 IE* update fix the Immunize--restriced site problem?

hawkeyelom
2009-06-10, 02:05
I saw a post on one site that today's MS patch for IE 8 fixed the restricted site problem for spyware Blaster.

Does anyone knowe if this patch fixes the imunize-- restriced site problem for Sybot S & D?

hawkeyelom
2009-06-10, 22:19
I saw a post on one site that today's MS patch for IE 8 fixed the restricted site problem for spyware Blaster.

Does anyone knowe if this patch fixes the imunize-- restriced site problem for Sybot S & D?

Isn't anyone going to respond?

bitman
2009-06-10, 22:35
Probably not, since the only thing close that I saw was an IIS update.

Bitman

hawkeyelom
2009-06-11, 01:22
Probably not, since the only thing close that I saw was an IIS update.

Bitman

MS released a patch for IE8 rather extensive from what I read, and it fixed the restricted sites problem here is quote:

"The IE8 accumulative security update issued today (09-Jun-09) appears to have fixed the IE8 LCIE problem with 1000s of restricted sites...as provided by SpywareBlaster. IE8 responds normally now on my Vista SP2 x64 and on XP-SP3 x86 systems with all the Restricted Sites activated by SpywareBlaster"

Have you actually tried IE* with the MS patch and Spybot S&D?

bitman
2009-06-11, 03:21
Nope, and I won't be, with Immunization anyway. As I've stated in other threads here about that subject, I stopped using Immunization with anything other than Windows 2000 over two years ago when Internet Explorer 7 became available.

At this point the protection provided by the SmartScreen Filter included within IE 8 makes me even less interested in stuffing the registry with thousands of entries for sites I will never browse to.

That's the nice thing about Spybot Search and Destroy's design though, I can choose the modules I wish to use and you can choose differently.

Bitman

hawkeyelom
2009-06-11, 04:52
I installed IE* (Vista 32bit ultimate) and had none of the slow down which I previously had. Starts up faster than IE7.

Unfortunately it messes up (or causes some to not wprk properly) sidebar gadgets. So I uninstalled IE 8 via control panel remove updates, and am back to IE7 :laugh:

bitman
2009-06-11, 19:29
In case anyone reading this is wondering why I don't believe is using Immunization on systems with current versions of IE (7 or 8), see these links.

Browsers under attack - 2009
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=317073#post317073

Hundreds of Web sites infected - attack in progress
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=317108#post317108

Now some will argue that despite the fact that these attacks often affect 10's of thousands of otherwise innocent web sites, Immunization against the primary sites actually delivering the malware is still effective, which is basically correct.

However, it's also unfortunately true that Spybot S&D updates only occur weekly, so this assumes that these malware laden sites will be around at the same server name or IP for at least this long. Unfortunately this is often no longer the case, since many current attacks are also using botnets of client PCs and fast-flux DNS tricks to change the delivery systems dynamically.

So to me, the act of manually stuffing the registry or Hosts file with static values on a weekly basis likely has little chance of blocking such complex and dynamically changing attacks. So I'd rather let the inherently dynamic SmartScreen Filter system in Internet Explorer 8 take care of this without any need for me to manage updates or take the performance hit on my own PC created by these large lists of Registry and Hosts file entires, no matter how small that might be on a newer PC.

Bitman

Gopher John
2009-06-12, 17:23
MS released a patch for IE8 rather extensive from what I read, and it fixed the restricted sites problem here is quote:

"The IE8 accumulative security update issued today (09-Jun-09) appears to have fixed the IE8 LCIE problem with 1000s of restricted sites...as provided by SpywareBlaster. IE8 responds normally now on my Vista SP2 x64 and on XP-SP3 x86 systems with all the Restricted Sites activated by SpywareBlaster"

Have you actually tried IE* with the MS patch and Spybot S&D?

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 with IE8. I'd never removed either SpyBot S&D nor SpywareBlaster immunizations. Firefox is my primary browser. Since Tuesday's MS updates, my machine has returned to faster bootup. Also MSIE also loads much faster. What minimal browsing that I do with IE is as fast as it was with IE7. Draw your own conclusions.:)

cbodendein
2009-06-12, 22:50
I also experienced a significant speed up in IE8 starting up after this patch by MS.