PDA

View Full Version : Is malware not being caught??

Larry416
2009-06-22, 22:55
I apologize for posting what might be an obvious question, but after searching the forums, as well as Spybot Help, I was unable to find an answer to it.

When I run a Spybot scan and observe it, the bottom of the window says "Running bot-check" with a running number out of about 500,000 followed by a colon and the name of a file. Many of the file names are things like Virtumonde, Smitfraud and countless others that are clearly spyware. Do these represent files that are actually on my machine, or are these files that Spybot as searching for? None of them are flagged as threats. When the scan is done, Spybot says no immediate threats were found.

Thanks to anyone who can answer for me. I'm starting to get real nervous that my computer is heavily infected, despite the many precautions I take.

fatnoo13
2009-06-22, 23:11
that stuff should be what SB S&D is searching for, not what it has found on your computer.

Larry416
2009-06-23, 00:16
Thanks...that's what I suspected, but a lot of the files had what looked like legit names, like winn32. And why were there so many Virtumonde entries in the scan? That made me think Virtumonde was a worm that had been replicating on my machine.

drragostea
2009-06-23, 05:33
:laugh: Well, fatnoo13 answered your question. Spybot-Search&Destroy scans for the malware on your machine (does not mean the specific malware is there): Product name (x/y). X stands for the current counter or number out of Y, the overall detections in it's database.

There has been a lot of Virtumonde infections on the Internet, so that's why you might see a handful of Virtumonde/Vundo counters during the scan. As long malware is not found during your scan (in the results window), I don't think you should lose sleep over that.

pacman77
2009-08-08, 09:32
thanks for clearing that up I was seeing all these nasties showing up in scan and thought I was loaded with malware but as you say it is what it is looking for not what it is seeing,thats a big relieve..cheers

djpailo
2009-08-08, 09:52
Yeah, you should always use two anti malware products because one can't catch everything, but if spybot doesn't find anything, more often then not your safe :crowned: