PDA

View Full Version : Trend Micro???

GeneRyan
2009-06-24, 10:35
I have been using S&D for at least 3 years now. I love it. IMO one of the best lines of defense against malware. I always recommend the product to friends and clients. Though i have been a user for many years now i have never seen this Website before. I am even happier.

A few months ago i downloaded and installed Trend Micro PC-Cillan. Upon installation the program told me not to trust S&D. I figured it was TM's way of making a buck and stealing clientel from S&D.

what i dont understand is if they dont endorse S&D, which they clearly dont, why do the admins here advise people to visit their site?? i would figure that the creators of S&D could make their own registry tools and viral stinger tools.

Just thought i'd throw it out there and see who swings at it.

Thanks again for all u all do! I know these kind of resources are neither cheap or easy to put into place, and somehow you guys manage to do it on donations, unlike ur competitor!!

Hats off to S&D:bigthumb::angel:

tashi
2009-06-24, 17:12
Hello GeneRyan, :welcome:

what i dont understand is if they dont endorse S&D, which they clearly dont, why do the admins here advise people to visit their site??

Do you mean to download HiJackThis in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)?

Trend Micro purchased the popular free tool. Since then other free updated programs have come into play to analyze logs.

Major changes in procedure take time, not only in the forums but also at the free volunteer run classrooms which train future malware fighters.

Hats off to S&D:bigthumb::angel:
Thank you!

Best regards. :)

GeneRyan
2009-06-25, 01:35
HJT was purchased by TM from the makers of S&D? oh i see. I sitll did not like being told to uninstall S&D during Pc-Cillian's installation.... :O

also, Free Volunteer Class??? where do i sign up... is it an online class environment?

drragostea
2009-06-25, 03:14
Hm, let me clarify. SaferNetworking (Spybot-Search&Destroy) has nothing to do with Trend Micro. What tashi was saying was that Trend Micro purchased HiJack-This (log diagnostic tool). That's about it.

SaferNetworking cannot recommend Trend Micro, Symantec, and Kaspersky's products because they all have the same practice of stripping Spybot from people's PCs (they force you to uninstall Spybot-SD), claiming that there were some "incompatibilities". BS I tell you. Those companies cannot even name one incompatibility with those two programs.

Of course you can always reinstall Spybot after their "checkpoint" (Trend Micro).

tashi
2009-06-25, 04:51
Hm, let me clarify. SaferNetworking (Spybot-Search&Destroy) has nothing to do with Trend Micro. What tashi was saying was that Trend Micro purchased HiJack-This (log diagnostic tool). That's about it.

Muchas gracias drragostea. :oreo:

@ GeneRyan,
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=118576
A little walk down memory lane for some.

also, Free Volunteer Class??? where do i sign up... is it an online class environment?
Becoming a helper (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10777)

Regards. :)

GeneRyan
2009-06-25, 11:58
thank you both very much for the info and the link!

amigan_1
2009-07-01, 16:25
Hi,

Just read the postings. It still leaves one unanswered question: "TM insists that we eliminate any trace of SB S&D, as well as any trace of AVG, from our computer, as TM is being installed. This, I mostly understand since TM has its own anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, and does not want conflict. But, can we reinstall SB S&D in such a way that it would be available for us to manually use only, and not cause conflicts with TM?"

I ask that question because I also have Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition, which is set to only run when I manually do so; and TM did not mention anything about my having that program, when I installed TM. I still use Ad-Aware, after I have used TM to scan my computer.

Thanks.

Regards,

Julian.

tashi
2009-07-01, 16:41
Hello amigan_1,

But, can we reinstall SB S&D in such a way that it would be available for us to manually use only, and not cause conflicts with TM?"

You would need to choose which resident protection should run real time.
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware. (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

Best regards.