PDA

View Full Version : spybot will not open

Jeanneko
2009-06-30, 01:42
I downloaded Spybot fine, but it will not open. The cursor changes to an hourglass, then back to a regular cursor. Nothing else happens. I tried to remove it so I could re-download, and received a request asking why I was removing it. I replied (the above), and got an e-mail saying that it sounded like a rootkit. I downloaded the Rootalyzer, ran the deep scan, and posted the results in a reply e-mail, which came back as undeliverable. The instructions I received were:
Please make a deep scan and copy and paste us the results of the scan. Also send us the files, which you get in the log area when you click on "Pack Suspicious Files". Thanks. :-)

Best regards,
Markus
Team Spybot

-- Markus Wagner
Acting Chief of Detections
Safer-Networking Ltd.
Watson & Johnson Centre
Greystones, County Wicklow, Ireland
Company Registration Office Dublin 377893
Directors: Dr. Michael Kolla, Patrick Kolla, Wolfgang Schnittger
www.safer-networking.org

Should I post the results and files here instead of replying to the e-mail?

Thanks,

Jeanne

km2357
2009-06-30, 21:26
Hello and welcome to Safer Networking.

My name is km2357 and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

I will be giving you a series of instructions that need to be followed in the order in which I give them to you.

If for any reason you do not understand an instruction or are just unsure then please do not guess, simply post back with your questions/concerns and we will go through it again.

Please do not start another thread or topic, I will assist you at this thread until we solve your problems.

Lastly the fix may take several attempts and my replies may take some time but I will stick with it if you do the same.

I'd like for you to do the following steps for me, then we'll begin working on your computer. :)

Step # 1: Download and Run HijackThis

Download HJTInstall.exe (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe) to your Desktop.

Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Step # 2: Download and Run Gmer

Please download gmer.zip (http://www.gmer.net/gmer.zip) from Gmer and save it to your desktop.

***Please close any open programs ***

Double-click gmer.exe. The program will begin to run.

**Caution**
These types of scans can produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries unless advised by a trained Security Analyst

If possible rootkit activity is found, you will be asked if you would like to perform a full scan. Click No.

Once the scan is complete, you may receive another notice about rootkit activity.
Click OK.

GMER will produce a log. Click on the Save button, and save the log as gmer.txt somewhere you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
If you do not receive notice about possible rootkit activity remain on the Rootkit/Malware tab & make sure the 'Show All' button is unticked. Click the Scan button and let the program do its work. GMER will produce a log.
Click on the Save button, and save the log as gmer.txt somewhere you can easily find it, such as your desktop.

DO NOT touch the PC at ALL for Whatever reason/s until it has 100% completed its scan, or attempted scan in case of some error etc !

Please post the results from the GMER scan in your reply.

In your next post/reply, I need to see the following:

1. HiJackThis Log
2. GMER Log

km2357
2009-07-06, 21:11
Jeanneko? Do you still need help?

km2357
2009-07-09, 21:08
This topic has been archived due to inactivity.

If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a new HijackThis log with a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.