PDA

View Full Version : "System Security" is this a virus?

mikeinkaty
2009-07-03, 06:26
Win XP Pro, IE 7, ABIT motherboard 2.4GHZ

Visited a bad web site and got infected AND HOW.

I started getting these "system Security" popups all over the place. Finally got control by hitting the reset button. ( I don't allow cookies and don't allow scripts so don't know how I got infected)

When I restarted, the first thing I noticed was that I had no USB ports. Well, that's where my mouse and keyboard were. Talk about walking naked in the park! Fortunately I had USB connectors so I could use the old serial ports (the little round plugs).

But then, nothing would execute. Almost every program I tried to run said "Infected with virus" and then quit. Nad no Internet so I downloaded HiJackThis on another computer. Had to load it to a CD. It would not run, even when renamed (Infected with virus). Things would run in Safe Mode, but I couldn't use my mouse which was the pits. Hovever running HiJackThis in safe mode would have been self-defeating.

Started looking around in Safe Mode and found LOTS of suspicious crap in my Documents & Settings. Deleted it.

Finally realized the the "System Security" thing was bogus. Deleted it and the icon it put on my screen.

Finally got some simbalance of control in Standard Mode. Had a few exe's that needed to be deleted (I renamed them first). They were pegging the CPU on the System Processes page.

I still have something going on tho. System Processes showing something called "deb" being run in multiple instances. I can tell it's trying to hit sites on the internet cause I have to keep dis-allowing cookies.

WHAT THE HECK DID I GET INFECTED WITH??????

Still no USB ports. I guess I need to un-install and re-install those drivers.

Finally got a HiJack report. Should I add it here?

Matt
2009-07-04, 13:12
Hi mikeinkaty,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums.

Sounds like a malware infection.

Please open a new thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and post your HJT logfile there. An analyst will help you as soon as possible. ;)

Important information:
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Happy safe surfing! :cool: