PDA

View Full Version : Detection support library - download problem

ghenry
2006-06-07, 16:35
When I try to download the latest version of the detection support library, I get the following message:

{crossed-out exclamation mark} Detection support library - !!! HTTP/1.1 200 OK

The library is NOT installed as it is listed again when I search for updates.

Any suggestions?
G. Henry

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-07, 17:33
Have tried to download the "Detection support library" from more than one download server?

Try again. If you receive the "HTTP/1.1 200" error again, try changing the download server as indicated here for Bad Checksum errors:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=345&postcount=2
Although I strongly suggest you attempt to receive the file as recommend above, there is a manual update for that file. Go to:
Downloads – Home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Then download and execute the following item:
Tools update 2006-03-31 - product description
md5: 6A3F1779DDC2EBAADB65C086687DF4B3

Only needed if you do not use the integrated update.
Note: If you update that file manually, it will not eliminate the "Detection support library" update from appearing in the integrated update facility. To do that, go into Spybot > Updates (left pane) > click on "Search for Updates" > when the item is presented, right click on the "Detection support library" portion of the message in the update column and select "Add to exclude list".

Warning: Please note that if you exclude the "Detection support library" download in the integrated update facility you will never be notified again if the "Advanced detection library" is ever updated in the future.

ghenry
2006-06-08, 09:58
Thanks for your quick answer. Comments:

=> "Have you tried to download the "Detection support library" from more than one download server?" <=

Yes - problem persists. I have also tried de-installing and re-installing Spybot, without avail - problem persists.

In all cases the download process starts and performs in the usual manner, but ends with the message discussed.

=> "manual update ....

* Downloads – Home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

* Then download and execute the following item:
Tools update 2006-03-31 - product description" <=

I did that - afterwards Spybot still reports updates for the Detection Support Library, and the update attempts ends with the message under discussion.

=> "Note: If you update that file manually, it will not eliminate the "Detection support library" update from appearing in the integrated update facility. To do that, go into Spybot > Updates (left pane) > click on "Search for Updates" > when the item is presented, right click on the "Detection support library" portion of the message in the update column and select "Add to exclude list". <=

I have excluded the Detection Support Library from the integrated update facility and re-performed the manual update. Now how do I re-include the Library again?

Thanks again.
G. Henry

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-08, 15:41
I have excluded the Detection Support Library from the integrated update facility and re-performed the manual update. Now how do I re-include the Library again?
Go into Spybot > Updates (left pane) > right click in the display area of the right pane > place the cursor on "Remove from exclude list" > select "Detection Support Library".

ghenry
2006-06-08, 19:36
OK, I've re-included it - and just now the update, while still reported (so the manual update didn't help) worked. The reasons? Whose (k)nose, as my Chinese friend used to say. After all, we're working under Windows.

Thanks again
G. Henry

ghenry
2006-06-11, 11:24
OK, here we go again - on my trying to download the latest update, the problem re-occurred. Unless anyone has a new idea, I might have to live with the situation...!?

:-(

G. Henry

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-11, 16:47
The "Detection support library" update replaces the Tools.dll. If you manually downloaded and properly executed the spybotsd_tools.exe (md5: 6A3F1779DDC2EBAADB65C086687DF4B3) file and properly executed it, then the Tools.dll should have been updated. To verify:
Using windows explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Right click on Tools.dll and select Properties.
In the General tab does the Tools.dll file have the following properties?
Size: 467 KB (478,720 bytes)
Modified: Monday, February 20, 2006, 8:35:26 AM
In the Version tab does the Tools.dll file have the following property?
File Version: 2.0.0.2
If so the update worked!!!
If that update worked than you do not need the following update from the integrated update facility:
Detection support library - Detection support routines update (238 KB) - 2006-03-10

ghenry
2006-06-12, 15:56
Hi,

my tools.dll shows exactly the properties you described, so it should be ok.

I have an idea that the updating problem has s.th. to do with my Antivirus/Firewall Software (Panda) - when I switched it off, the update worked. Since then there's been no further Spybot update so I couldn't test the matter.

But thanks a lot for your help!
G. Henrx

Doma3
2007-02-01, 04:19
Have tried to download the "Detection support library" from more than one download server?

Try again. If you receive the "HTTP/1.1 200" error again, try changing the download server as indicated here for Bad Checksum errors:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=345&postcount=2

For over a month or so, or whenever that last update came out, I was also unable to download it. I googled the terms of: Spybot advanced protection library 1.5.1 ... and found this forum. The above solution helped. However, if I wasn't motivated to find the answer, I never would have found it. I like Spybot, not as much as another tool I use, but is handy nonetheless. How many others have had this problem and did not look up how to fix this problem? The default download site for Spybot should work, if it doesn't then you should fix it.

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 06:24
Doma3:

If you are running Spybot 1.4 there is no "default download site". The download site is selected randomly from among all the available download sites.

Doma3
2007-02-01, 06:48
Doma3:

If you are running Spybot 1.4 there is no "default download site". The download site is selected randomly from among all the available download sites.

Then what are the chances that I get "the file is temporarily moved" error, every time I update? If such chances are high, which they must be cause it never updated the numerous times I tried, then your default random server selection is not a good idea if so many of those servers are not working.

I am suggesting that this kind of problem may turn off the less computer savy people out there from using this utility.

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 07:14
Are you running Spybot 1.4 or are you running Spybot 1.3?

Spybot 1.3 selects the first site listed as the "default download site" and it does appear that there is a problem with the following file on the "PlanetMirror (Global)" site at least from my location:
http://downloads.planetmirror.com/pub/spybot/advcheck151.zip
So if running Spybot 1.3 then your chances are 100% right now of a failure on that file unless you change the download server or upgrade to Spybot 1.4. That file on the other 13 download sites looks fine.

Doma3
2007-02-01, 07:20
Are you running Spybot 1.4 or are you running Spybot 1.3?

Spybot 1.3 selects the first site listed as the "default download site" and it does appear that there is a problem with the following file on the "PlanetMirror (Global)" site at least from my location:
http://downloads.planetmirror.com/pub/spybot/advcheck151.zip
So if running Spybot 1.3 then your chances are 100% right now of a failure on that file unless you change the download server or upgrade to Spybot 1.4. That file on the other 13 download sites looks fine.

I am running 1.2, fully updated, are you telling me I need to uninstall it and reinstall a newer version? And that the updates I am getting are not updating the version?

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 07:39
If you were running Spybot 1.2, I do not believe that you would be getting any updates.

I suggest that you go into Spybot > Help > About and check the version, i.e.:
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.x

Doma3
2007-02-01, 10:23
If you were running Spybot 1.2, I do not believe that you would be getting any updates.

I suggest that you go into Spybot > Help > About and check the version, i.e.:
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.x

yeah thats exactly what I did. I been using Spybot for about 3 years. It has updated several times, but not as often as another utility I use. Like I said, I was unable to get the update to load in, but I followed those instructions and it worked however, the instructions were a little wrong as the pull down menu for the various sites was not between search for updates and download updates, but was to the right of Download updates. Now there are no updates available, its up to snuff. Unless of coarse I have to download a different version altogether.

ghenry
2007-02-01, 11:42
Hi everybody,

I'm the guy who posted the original message. For some reason, I've only now been notified about the ongoing discussion. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is solved (as described in my last message in the forum): the download had been blocked by my antivirus program (Panda).

GHenry

spybotsandra
2007-02-01, 13:12
Hello Doma3,

It seems like you are running an old version of Spybot - Search & Destroy which cannot be updated at all.
This means it won't provide the protection that is actually available.
You will have to switch to Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 to get our full offer.
It is not possible to upgrade to the new version via update - you will have to download it manually.
Please uninstall the older version of Spybot - Search & Destroy before installing the new version.
In order to uninstall Spybot-S&D, please consider the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
It is important to use the "very small fix".
Then download the new version of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.
You will find links to several download locations on our website.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Doma3
2007-02-01, 19:27
Hello Doma3,

It seems like you are running an old version of Spybot - Search & Destroy which cannot be updated at all.

It is not possible to upgrade to the new version via update - you will have to download it manually...

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Well the above is not true. While the updates I have gotten were very very few over the last 2 years, even the one I got yesterday, after following the advice I quoted, I have fully updated Spybot, and it tells me now after manually successfully choosing the downlod update that there are no more updates.

But I am still at 1.2

So how can my experience be opposite of your above statement? Perhaps it patially updates. And as you said leaving me in danger thus needing to get a newer version. If that is the case then why wasn't there an update telling the user this? I know alot of people who use these utilities because I and a friend of mine recommend them (I have a website, he works for a communications company) and they are not computer savvy and would not come here to dig out this technical information. How many thousands that we don't know may have the same problem?

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 20:33
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 was made available 2004-05-12 (yyyy-mm-dd).
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 was made available 2005-06-01 (yyyy-mm-dd).

After the release of Spybot-S&D 1.3 and before Spybot-S&D 1.4 was introduced, updates averaged every 15 days. Since the introduction of Spybot-S&D 1.4, updates to the detection files have been made weekly, on Fridays, with "very very few" exceptions.

If you would like to take advantage of improvements in Spybot's scanning and removal techniques as well as the latest detection files, I suggest that you:
Upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.4, unless you are running on a Windows 95 system.
Upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.3, if you are running on a Windows 95 system.
Downloads for Spybot 1.4 can be found here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Doma3
2007-02-01, 21:41
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 was made available 2004-05-12 (yyyy-mm-dd).
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 was made available 2005-06-01 (yyyy-mm-dd).

After the release of Spybot-S&D 1.3 and before Spybot-S&D 1.4 was introduced, updates averaged every 15 days. Since the introduction of Spybot-S&D 1.4, updates to the detection files have been made weekly, on Fridays, with "very very few" exceptions.

If you would like to take advantage of improvements in Spybot's scanning and removal techniques as well as the latest detection files, I suggest that you:
Upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.4, unless you are running on a Windows 95 system.
Upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.3, if you are running on a Windows 95 system.
Downloads for Spybot 1.4 can be found here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Thats great but didn't answer my questions.

PepiMK
2007-02-01, 21:55
The switch from 1.2 to 1.3 was quite some time back, so I can't say from memory how exactly updating was recommended back then. I think we had a reminder in updates that said "Go to the website and download the new version", but the problem is that that appeared only once, and may have been clicked away by some users.

Detection updates are still available to older versions, and would download there, but they're probably not working 100%, missing some things... in which case Spybot-S&D 1.2 should tell you that some detection rules would need a newer version - unless you disabled that warning in the settings ;)

By the way, 1.5 should be compatible again, and would already be ready if we wouldn't have these lengthy discussions with Microsoft about their requirements for security software to be more unsafe then necessary to get Certified for Vista :sick: Will probably post something about that soon ;)

Doma3
2007-02-01, 22:10
The switch from 1.2 to 1.3 was quite some time back, so I can't say from memory how exactly updating was recommended back then. I think we had a reminder in updates that said "Go to the website and download the new version", but the problem is that that appeared only once, and may have been clicked away by some users.

Detection updates are still available to older versions, and would download there, but they're probably not working 100%, missing some things... in which case Spybot-S&D 1.2 should tell you that some detection rules would need a newer version - unless you disabled that warning in the settings ;)

By the way, 1.5 should be compatible again, and would already be ready if we wouldn't have these lengthy discussions with Microsoft about their requirements for security software to be more unsafe then necessary to get Certified for Vista :sick: Will probably post something about that soon ;)

hey its possible there was a 1 time warning. We are all good, thanks for the answers!

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 22:48
Thats great but didn't answer my questions.
Doma3:

Actually, I didn't intend on answering your questions.

I believe that I have helped you understand why you may be having difficulties with updates and I have made suggestions that should help you with those update problems.

My main purpose in posting in this forum is to try to help people understand Spybot and/or recover from problems that they are experiencing. I believe that I have done that.

Good luck to you.