PDA

View Full Version : IsearchTechnology.WinButler

TDS40
2009-07-07, 00:01
I'm new to this forum, but just wanted to share how I finally got rid of IsearchTechnology.WinButler. Because Spybot Search&Destroy was finding the problem but not fixing it. No matter how many times I clicked "fix selected problems" The very next scan would show -- IsearchTechnology.WinButler (trojan) on my computer. And my IE8 kept getting hijacked by Megasearch.

I'm not a computer expert and have no idea if these problems were related but I did a search on megasearch and found that I needed to check my registry for the Megahost.dll which I did. Start\Run\regedit click edit then find.

I don't remember the registry path but along with finding the Megahost.dll I found Winbutler and WinbunInstaller.exe I feel like I hit the jackpot because I've been trying to get rid of this problem for 4 days. I deleted all 3 registry entries and the problem has not come back since, and IE8 is no longer getting hijacked.

To the programers of Spybot Search&Destroy :thanks: Your program was the only spyware scanner that found IsearchTechnology.WinButler (trojan). It may not have fixed the problem but I knew what I was looking for when I accidentally found it hidden away in the registry.

drragostea
2009-07-07, 04:36
Although the Windows registry is a critical component of the whole OS, removing the malicious registry keys might have only done have the trick. The symptoms might now show up, but the infection itself might still be dormant. Meaning you removed only a portion of it or disabled it.

I would suggest you run a scan in Safe Mode, with Spybot and the latest definition updates.

TDS40
2009-07-07, 04:42
Although the Windows registry is a critical component of the whole OS, removing the malicious registry keys might have only done have the trick. The symptoms might now show up, but the infection itself might still be dormant. Meaning you removed only a portion of it or disabled it.

I would suggest you run a scan in Safe Mode, with Spybot and the latest definition updates.

Thanks, I will try doing that right now.

TDS40
2009-07-07, 05:15
Congratulations!
No immediate threats were found. :bigthumb:

drragostea
2009-07-08, 02:02
Safe surfing. The WinButler threat should no longer bother you.