PDA

View Full Version : Spybot and Ad-Aware being defeated?

Bobaran98
2009-07-08, 23:05
I've been having some weird freezing/locking issues with a work computer, so I've tried installing Spybot (and Ad-Aware as well). Spybot doesn't work the way it always has on other computers, and Ad-Aware install appears to succeed but then disappears.

Spybot: I can get updates and immunize, no problem, but I'm unable to check for problems. When I click the button to do so, it gives me a message about counting and cleaning temporary files; then, regardless of what I answer, it doesn't do anything else. The "Check for Problems" button is replaced by "Stop Check", and there's a tool tip that says "Please wait, scan in progress...", but nothing else. No progress bar at the bottom, none of the stuff I'm used to seeing. I've tried it dozens of times, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. I tried leaving it for hours with no change, but the moment I click "Stop Check," it freezes up and sometimes locks up the entire computer just like the freezing issue that I first installed Spybot in hopes of diagnosing. Behavior is the same even in Safe Mode.

Ad-Aware: Whenever I install, the installation program requires a reboot... but when the reboot is completed, all the program files have been deleted. Shortcuts have appeared on the taskbar and in the Start menu, and the program still shows up in Add and Remove Programs, but the actual files are gone.

So maybe there's a specific threat that's fighting against anti-spyware software? Can anyone give me any ideas about what's going on here? Thanks!

Matt
2009-07-08, 23:14
Hi Bobaran98,

Do you have Signs of Malware (http://www.virusvault.us/signs1.html) or do you think you might be infected ?

You have installed Spybot 1.6.2 ?

Bobaran98
2009-07-09, 22:36
Nothing overtly malware, though I'm trying to cover all the bases. We have an important machine that suddenly began freezing up entirely at odd intervals, and each time, the Event Viewer showed a System DCOM error associated with an important (definitely not malware) piece of software we use. We tried upgrading that software to a new version and even uninstalling it entirely, but now that same freezing issue occurs within ten minutes of every bootup-- and now without ANY errors in the Event Viewer.

Virus scans showed nothing, but then when I couldn't get either Spybot or Ad-Aware to run properly, I started growing concerned...

tashi
2009-07-10, 00:50
Hello Bobaran98 :welcome:

I've been having some weird freezing/locking issues with a work computer,

Virus scans showed nothing, but then when I couldn't get either Spybot or Ad-Aware to run properly, I started growing concerned...

Please see this topic Corporate-Small Business Editions (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16402) and we can proceed from there.

Best regards.

Bobaran98
2009-07-10, 18:51
Thanks for the help, folks. I posted on Experts-Exchange as well, and they suggested a few ideas... after running ComboFix, I was able to get Spybot running as well. And after all that, it turned out to be a conflict caused by a valid software installation.

Oh well! I've gone ahead and uninstalled Spybot. @tashi: Did I misunderstand? Do I need to purchase a license to use Spybot on a company machine?

Thanks again!

tashi
2009-07-10, 20:54
Hello Bobaran98,

Thanks for the help, folks. I posted on Experts-Exchange as well, and they suggested a few ideas... after running ComboFix,

Be careful there, for instance in our malware removal forum we have this sticky for PC users seeking help.

Do NOT run 'FIXES' before helpers have analyzed the HJT log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16806) No one wants a doorstop. ;)

@tashi: Did I misunderstand? Do I need to purchase a license to use Spybot on a company machine?

Yes, Spybot-S&D is free for personal use. :)

More information: http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/index.html Our support staff can help with special needs you might have.

Have a great weekend!