PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot will not launch program window

HumanGene
2009-07-12, 18:26
Hello,

My computer has symptoms of bein infected with malware. On startup, Iexplore,exe is started as a process, but no window is displayed. I can hear "mouseclick" sounds, then audio will start playing.

I have the latest version of Spybot (1.6.2). It's icon is displayed in the system tray (Windows XP, fully patched and updated). I thought a fix for this infection might be to do a restore with Sypbot, but when I try to launch the program, either trough the sytem tray icon or through start/programs, nothing happens. No window is displayed and the program is not shown as running in task manager (application or process).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
2009-07-12, 18:35
Hi HumanGene,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums.

Please try to start Spybot in a different way like you can see here (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=294582&postcount=3).

Moreover, you can rename the file SpybotSD.exe into HumanGene.exe. Therefore, you've to uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option like md usa spybot fan wrotes in the obove post at the end.

Let me know if that helps. :thanks:

HumanGene
2009-07-12, 19:33
Thank you! That was exactly the fix I needed. I am very grateful for your assistance. I have a question though. The .scr files remain in the SpyBot program directory. Should I delete these?

Zenobia
2009-07-12, 20:08
No,you don't need to delete the .scr files in the Spybot program directory.

Matt
2009-07-12, 21:06
Thank you! That was exactly the fix I needed. I am very grateful for your assistance.
You're welcome. ;)