PDA

View Full Version : Hope someone can help me

mimieb
2009-07-17, 17:26
I believe I have gotten some sort of virus on my machine I tried to view a video in windows media player and it came up with a window that said I needed the license so I did what most ppl do and I just clicked ok, and then it installed something called omegavid.exe on my machine. I was still unable to view the video in fact it disconnected me from my msn messenger and I was unable to use mozilla or any other browser afterwards as it redirects me to a page that says address not found. However it left me connected to skype for some reason.

I then went into my program files and noticed that this omegavid only had an uninstall file listed in it's folder so I used it and uninstalled this thing because I dont like to have programs I am unfamiliar with on my machine.

After numerous attempts I was and still am unable to run spybot, when I click on it, it shows the hourglass as if it's loading and then it dissapears and spybot does not come up however it is listed in my running processes. I am unable to go to any websites what so ever so I cannot download hijackthis or anything else for that matter. Rebooting did not help this at all. I was able to run avg in safe mode however it really didn't find anything.

I would really like to keep the reformatting of my machine as a last resort because I have a terrabyte drive and alot of stuff on it. Any help or suggestions I can get would be greatly appreciated.

pskelley
2009-07-18, 11:04
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance) http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

You must have read and followed the "Before you Post" instructions.

omegavid.exe <<< Cloaked Malware
http://www.prevx.com/filenames/2010173599748065912-X1/OMEGAVID.EXE.html

I am unable to go to any websites what so ever so I cannot download hijackthis or anything else for that matter.

If you have lost your Internet connection on the infected computer, or otherwise cannot post from that machine; you can download HJT to a clean PC if you have one.
Do you have access to another clean computer you can use to download the tools we need, then bring them to the infected computer?

Thanks

mimieb
2009-07-18, 18:41
I do have access to another machine I downloaded urunt and hjt and sent it to my machine through the network... I installed them and was able to run urunt, however I was unable to run hjt... The program will not open. So I have started backing up some of my files in hopes that I am not backing up this stupid virus, and am getting ready to format the drive... I will repost after I have formatted to let you know if the issue is resolved, so please don't close this thread yet.

pskelley
2009-07-24, 12:13
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.