PDA

View Full Version : unwise.exe not being detected

majesty95
2009-07-22, 02:34
I have an unwise. exe and an install.log that are not being detected by Spybot, AdAware or Kaspersky.

The file is located in a text based game I use called WMMA2. I know it does not have anything to do with that software but somehoe attached itself to it.

When I click the shortcut to run WMMA2 I get a message from windows that UNWISE.EXE wants to run. I just close it out. I've tried to detect it and remove it since from what I've read deleting it will not remove it. However, nothing I've used can detect it. I have tried to compress and e-mail it with win rar but I get an error that I cannot do that.

This is very irritating. Any help would be much appreciated.

drragostea
2009-07-22, 02:43
What kind of error messages were you getting? Do you have the exact message? You can always use the Windows default zip function, to zip the file and then send it.

majesty95
2009-07-22, 05:10
I get a WinRAR diagnostics message:

!Cannot create UNWISE.rar
!Access denied.

I used file analyzer to look at it but got a bug error when trying to copy the data to notepad in a new window.

I'm pretty cluless to all if this. I know unwise.exe is usally an uninstaller but I've also read that it can be malware.

Someone told me I could just delete the short cut and create a new one from within the WWMA2 program file from the default .exe. I'm just worried that the program that created this issue is still lurking somewhere.

tashi
2009-07-22, 05:57
Hello majesty95,

The name of a file may not define if it is legitimate or not,

Frequently used programs not automatically added to the Start menu
The following list of programs are excluded from the most frequently used list:
Setup.exe
Install.exe
Isuninst.exe
Unwise.exe
Unwise32.exe
St5unst.exe
Rundll32.exe
Msoobe.exe
Lnkstub.exe
Msascui.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282066

The application is often included when you install software that uses the 'Wise Installer' system. It is used to un-install the software.

You may find several of these files on the computer, each Unwise.exe would be associated with a specific program.

It is not clear what steps have previously been taken that may produce the problem you are experiencing now. Where did you obtain WMMA2 from?

Is the computer showing signs of actual infection other than this annoyance?

Best regards.

Edit:
I see you have an open topic in the malware forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=323768#post323768

Please wait for advice from one of our volunteer analysts.

majesty95
2009-07-22, 08:33
Yes, I'm getting - RTE '75' Path file/access error - now during gameplay. When I click "OK" the game shuts down. I got WMMA2 from the developer Grey Dog Software. I have not had this problem until recently when I visited a site that I probably shouldn't have gone to. I've removed a couple of trojans though malware removal tools but am still having this issue. I'm not sure if this is related but the Unwise.exe in the WMMA2 program file was last modified Sept 28 2001 while all of the other WMMA2 files were last modified in 2009, which is when the game was released.

tashi
2009-07-22, 17:47
Hi there,

I added a link back to this thread in your malware forum topic, it is always a good idea when seeking help to give the full picture. ;)

Best regards.