PDA

View Full Version : Scan certain areas

Greyze
2009-08-07, 22:14
Hey all!

I have a friends hard drive with me, infected with some crazy spyware that blocks startup of Anti spyware programs (spybot etc).

I have read most of the threads and learned many techniques to get rid of spyware, such as Hijackthis/autoruns/combofix etc. But unfortunately these have all failed.

What I was planning to do is plug in the infected HDD to my PC and then scan the whole drive on my working operating system.

Unfortunately, when you use Spybot to scan, it seems to just do a full scan, is there any way to scan specific folders/drives?

Greyze
2009-08-07, 22:22
Or actually... How do I start Spybot before windows fully boots up? such as in DOS mode, or just before the windows login screen appears?

I've seen where Spybot starts before everything else because it recently did a scan and needed a restart n scan to finish removing bad stuff.

So if there's no way to scan specific areas, how can I make spybot start before windows boots up fully?

Greyze
2009-08-09, 20:33
Boottime scan!!! that's the word! so yeah is this possible?

drragostea
2009-08-12, 05:22
I have read most of the threads and learned many techniques to get rid of spyware, such as Hijackthis/autoruns/combofix etc. But unfortunately these have all failed.
Well, although you can always get help from the Malware Removal Forums offered by SaferNetworking, I'm pretty sure there's still time for your machine, even when it's infected. In addition, I wouldn't suggest running Combofix without supervision. I know it gives you the impression that it'll resolve this or that. In worse case scenarios, it screws up your machine. Big time.

There's no hope to operate Spybot-SD in Normal Boot, so if you can set it to automate in Safe Mode and reboot, that should take out some nasties.
What you do is go into Advanced Mode>Settings>Settings.
Look for "System Start". "No Automation" will be checked by default.

Greyze
2009-08-16, 17:12
Ahh excellent, that was the exact information I was after :D

Cleared the issue perfectly, thanks man :)

drragostea
2009-08-17, 06:20
You're welcome. But be sure to uncheck it after the system scan, because I don't think you'll want Spybot scanning for 10-20 minutes every time you start your PC.