PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Open Spybot S&D

Skyloke
2009-08-12, 19:11
Hello,

I recently downloaded Spybot S&D, version 1.6.2. and it will not run. My operating system is Windows ME. I tried following the steps from another post, see below.

Step 1

“I tried to start Spybot in a different way. Using windows Explorer, I went to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy
I looked for SpybotSD.exe, if I don’t see SpybotSD.exe then I looked for a randomly named file with a .scr extension that is the same size as the SpybotSD.exe file. I double clicked on the randomly named file with a .scr extension to see if Spybot would execute, and it would not.”

Step 2

“I tried to open and run Spybot in Safe Mode, and it still would not run.”

Step 3

“I tried renaming Spybot’s .exe file with another name and tried running it again, and it still would not run.”

There may be a rootkit infection in my computer system preventing me from executing Spybot., but I cannot run RootAlyzer to scan for rootkits. It does not support Windows ME. I looked for other rootkit detection and removal software as Rootkit Unhooked, Panda Anti-rootkit and some others. I cannot locate one that will scan my system.

I have Avast anti-virus and have scanned my system, and it has not detected any rootkits.
Can someone assist me with trying to execute Spybot. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Matt
2009-08-13, 11:07
Hi Skyloke,

I would like you to read the post from tashi here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194). :thanks: