PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted user profile

G_Msaver
2009-08-14, 00:00
This happened 4 weeks ago, and again yesterday:

Ran Spybot overnight while logged in as a user (nothing else running). In the morning, Spybot shows no threats (no red items), but some green entries (history, temp etc). I clicked these and then 'Fixed' them.

On re-booting and logging in as the same user, all the personal settings were gone. Desktop items vanished, folders vanished.

Logged in as admin, checked user profiles, and found a duplicate user profile had been created (same name but with '01' added to the name). Seems the original user profile is still there but when logging on, it uses this newly-created duplicate which simply has default setings.

I tried 'Recovery', but it doesn't show any items dated yesterday, only 4 weeks ago!

Last time I didn't make the link to Spybot (I'd also run AVG, Adaware & Spyblaster) but this time all I've done is Spybot. Last time I paid a guy to come and create a new profile, copy the settings from the old to the new etc etc, and he fixed it (tho I still had to re-create some user preferences).

a) why does this happen?
b) why does recovery not give option to recover these green items?
c) what is the easiest way to get my user profile back (other than paying the guy to come back!)

thanks

spybotsandra
2009-08-14, 11:01
Hello,

Seems like you were running an old version.
Please upgrade to our new Spybot version 1.6.2 (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe).

In Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6 and older versions you can not access other user accounts during the scan.
After finishing the scan, please close Spybot completely and reboot your computer.
Then you will have access to your user accounts again.
Otherwise this link (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314045&x=10&y=11) should help.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

G_Msaver
2009-08-14, 12:28
Thanks Sandra,

Yes, you're right - I've been running 1.6.0

In Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6 and older versions you can not access other user accounts during the scan.
What does 'cannot access other user accounts' mean - I did not interrupr the scan by trying to access other accounts, just ran it while logged on as normal user. Are you saying it would not scan the Administrator acount? and anyway, why would it corrupt the account I'm logged on with?

After finishing the scan, please close Spybot completely and reboot your computer.
Then you will have access to your user accounts again.

For the avoidance of doubt, are you saying that if I 1) upgrade to 1.6.2 then 2) log on as normal user (or administrator - does it matter?) then 3 reboot (as normal user), then my original normal user account will work? Should I first delete the newly created user account01 from within Administrator setttings - otherwise how will XP know which of these 2 to log in as?

Thanks

G_Msaver
2009-08-16, 18:15
Haven't tried upgrading to 1.6.2 yet as

a) the thread here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50441)implies some pretty nasty problem with 1.6.2 and
b) still not sure if your reply Sandra is telling me this upgrading/rescanning will retrieve my profile lost while running the old verion, or whether you're saying it would retrieve a lost profile lost while running 1.6.2?