PDA

View Full Version : Unable to update Detection Rules

buttoni
2006-06-11, 19:21
Have been running Spybot SSD for nearly a year now and have never had problems updating, other than occasional CheckSum error when server is busy. Last two days I keep getting these two error indications and cannot update Detection Rules:

Socket Error #10060 Connection Timed Out
HTTP/ 1.1 200 OK

Don't know what they mean. Any problems with update server? Any suggestions?
-----------------------
My System Specs if needed:

Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop Intel Pentium4 2.80 GHz
512MB DDR2 SDRAM
SBC DSL 2 Wire Home Portal External Modem w/built-in hardwire firewall
Windows XP SP2 V5.1.2600 with Internet Explorer v6.0.2900
SBC Yahoo DSL Browser (modified IE)
Java JRE v1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
SpywareGuard v2.2.0
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (Teatimer off)
IE-Spyad
Ewido 3.5 Free (EwidoGuard removed)
Adaware SE 1.06r1 (on demand)
CCleaner v1.30.310
MVPS Hosts File
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus v7.1.113 (WinXP Firewall OFF!)
Avast!4.7 Free Home Edition Build: 4.7.844
MS Windows Defender v. 1.1.1347

Jim B
2006-06-11, 21:59
Take a look at:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=4977

It may help

buttoni
2006-06-12, 05:54
Have tried all servers and still getting HTTP/1.1 200 OK. with every attempt to update Detection Rules. I'm not sure I fully understand the Tools Update manual process described therein. If I read this thread correctly, I do the manual download & execute it. Then I go into Spybot program integrated updates to flag this item as "Add to exclude list" to get this item off the available update listing. Then I should verify the size of my new Tools.dll in properties to be sure it is updated correctly. THEN I should once again go back into the program and remove the item from the exclude list? Correct?

buttoni
2006-06-12, 05:58
I just noticed your thread link refers to that poster's inability to update the "Detection Support Library". Is that the same thing as "Detection Rules", which is what I am unable to update? Just noticed the difference in wording.

buttoni
2006-06-12, 06:07
I checked and the properties of c:\ProgramFiles\SpybotS&D\Tools.dll file is 467 kb and is Version 2.0.0.2. Would this indicate I'm up to date? If so, should I exclude Detection Rules to get it off the available update listing or not?

Jim B
2006-06-12, 20:43
It would appear that you are now up-to-date. It is up to you whether or not to exclude the list, it shouldnt make any difference.

buttoni
2006-06-12, 22:04
Thank you very much for your help Jim B. I put this Definitions Rules update on the Exclude List. As I did NOT actually have to manually download the tools.dll, as MDSpybot Fan suggests here, & this file apparently updated OK the very first time I did the update in the normal fashion (w/ error message), then is this just a glitch in the software or update process itself? I'm up to date but the update doesn't recognize that I'm up to date? My Spybot integrated program update feature will still continue to offer future updates without a hitch, don't you think? Sure hope so.

Jim B
2006-06-12, 22:24
I cant see any reason why it should not display future updates (or even download them through the integrated updater). I dont know exactly what it isat the moment, but if you search the forum people are having the same problems as you regarding the updates. Hopefully it should become right and you hopefully will be able to use Spybot as usual.

Just have to hope for the best. :bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-13, 00:48
buttoni:

I just noticed your thread link refers to that poster's inability to update the "Detection Support Library". Is that the same thing as "Detection Rules", which is what I am unable to update? Just noticed the difference in wording.You are correct!

The following two updates are not the same:
Detection rules
Detection support library
In addition there are two (2) other similarly named updates (containing the word "detection", that you may have received in the past or are pending) that are not the same as either of the two updates above:
Advanced detection library
Intermediary detection update
If you did an "Add to exclude list" for the following update in Spybot's integrated update facility you will no longer be notified of Spybot's weekly updates for the "Detection rules":
Detection rules
Were do you stand as far as updates are concerned? Please go into Spybot > Help > About. What are the following values?
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.?
Latest detection update: 200?-??-??
If you go into Spybot > Updates (left pane) > then right click in the display area of the right pane:
Is "Remove from exclude list" grayed out?
If not grayed out, select "Remove from exclude list" and document what is in the menu.

buttoni
2006-06-14, 02:58
Sorry I'm just getting back. Was out buying a new car yesterday. Help, About shows Apybot Version 1.4, Latest Detection 2006-06-02

When I right-click the update window, "Remove from Exclude List" is not greyed out and the submenu now shows Detection Rules (because I put it there yesterday). Is there a way to get it off the Exclude List?

buttoni
2006-06-14, 03:05
I just went into that submenu and clicked on "Detection Rules" to remove it from the list and now it is greyed out. Is that what you wanted me to do? Does that get it back in the update notification cycle again?

buttoni
2006-06-14, 03:15
Then I just went into integrated updates and clicked Search for Updates, it offered the same Detection Rules update again, but the same error message appears.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Do you think I just need to uninstall/reinstall to resolve this?

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-14, 06:07
Post deleted.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-14, 13:40
I don't know what is causing the "HTTP/1.1 200 OK" messages while you are trying to update the Detection rules.

There is a maunal update for the Detection rules. Since you are having problems with the integrated update facility, exit Spybot, then download and execute the manual updater program (spybotsd_includes.exe) from safer-networking.org. That will update the detection files. The file is located here:
Downloads – Home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
The download item is:
Detection updates 2006-06-10 - product description
md5: 620EDD81B863E3486F2B94628A768DD7

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

The direct link is:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

buttoni
2006-06-14, 14:37
Thanks MDSBFan. If I do the manual detection download, then I will always have to go get my updates this way? Or do you think it is only just this one time I'll have to update manually?

buttoni
2006-06-14, 15:20
Decided to just go on and uninstall/reinstall and now my program is updated to the latest 6/10/06 detection rules & running like a new engine. This is such a wonderful program. The entire process sailed to completion like a warm knife through butter! Thank you for you help MDSBFan. And my thanks to the all the Spybot Developers & volunteers for such a great free anti-spyware program and support team.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-14, 15:53
I'm glad you got it working.