PDA

View Full Version : internet files "unsure" designation

mittens
2009-08-22, 14:14
in trying to delete my internet temp files this morning spybot found a block of six files that it will not or cannot delete, and have designated them as "unsure'. I have never seen this listing before, and the file names are a list of letters and numbers (much like a CLSID number) that is so long it runs off the page.
I would like to know what "unsure' means, and what these files are...and if they are bad mojo, how do I get rid of them?

Im running WindowsXP, and the latest version of spybot.

mittens
2009-08-24, 11:54
i realize this is not a huge hot topic, but I did ask a simple question. surely there was a simple answer. thank you for your time.

drragostea
2009-08-25, 00:01
Hello there. mittens, I'm having trouble understanding what's going on with your situation.

How do you plan on clearing your Temp. files?
Can you elaborate on the part where Spybot tells you that it is "unsure"?
Is it possible that you post a screenshot with your next post?

mittens
2009-08-25, 00:22
when I run spybot secure shredder to clean my internet temp files, I can clean out all of them except for one batch that is persistently "there'. I just did it again, and took a screen shot after cleaning out the rest of the files, to show you what it looks like.

Not sure how this will travel, but here goes.

as to 'what Im doing" to remove my temp files, that was it. I did find two of them by using a search function in windows, but the others just don't appear. you will notice (and I hope its not too small to be readable) there are also three other files above them that appear to be 'done' but won't be removed, possibly because of the 'unsure' ones below.

oh that is teeny. I can do it over, if you want...

drragostea
2009-08-25, 01:29
I don't have an exact explanation on why Spybot is coming up with an "unsure"... I'm not very familiar with Secure Shredder as I do not use it, and I do recall it was removed in the newer builds (I cannot find it, in my Spybot-SD 1.6.2.46).

But what I can suggest is an alternative in clearing your cookies, cache, Temp. files, etc. Frankly, (from your screenshot) I find it unnecessary to be secure shredding Temp. files...

ATF Cleaner by Atribune, clears out your temp. files, cookies, etc with ease:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

mittens
2009-08-25, 01:43
that your spybot version and mine are the same version, so I don't know why you can't find it. And I figure, if they put the offer out there to shred stuff, then Im going to take them up on it.

It isnt as if I went and decided to do this on my own; there is a little drop down menu with this that allows you to shred cache, temp files, and cookies. As well as your own recycled and deleted files.

One thing it does is show me what is causing problems. I tried deleting those problem files manually, but could only find two of them. They arent even in the registry.

alternatively I just use the delete temp files option that windows offers.

but thank you for your help.