PDA

View Full Version : At XP Startup SpyBot/Tea Timer Takes FOREVER To Load ?

j_t_d
2009-08-24, 19:50
Hello All. I searched the forum to try to find an answer to this, but to no avail. Thanks for reading and for any help you can offer.

I've been using Spybot & Tea Timer for years, and I love them. A few months ago, I downloaded the updates (I think they were pretty sizable and major updates).

Since then, whenever I boot/startup my computer...Windows XP loads and I get to the desktop. BUT...the computer takes FOREVER (okay 7-8 minutes) to load Spybot / Tea Timer and also AVG (I have both). During this loading time, it prevents me from accessing the XP Taskbar (when I put the cursor over the Taskbar, all I get is the hourglass icon). This goes on for 7-8 minutes...and for that time, I'm unable to do anything on my computer. Then it finishes loading, and the computer works okay as normally.

I'm 99% sure it has something to do with the Spybot/Tea Timer update that I downloaded. I say this because I uninstalled Spybot/Tea Timer as a test, and the computer started-up as normal with no waiting.

Why would Spybot / Tea Timer all of a sudden to this, when it hadn't for years? I LOVE using Sypbot / Tea Timer and having both on my computer...but because of this loading time problem...I don't know if I want to keep it as it prevents me from being able to work quickly.

Does anyone know what is going on? And if there is a way to fix it?

Thanks again for reading and for any help!

drragostea
2009-08-24, 23:57
Hello there j_t_d. From what I gathered in your post, it seems like TeaTimer might be the problem.

Do you have TeaTimer disabled at the moment?
What version of TeaTimer are you running?
What version of Spybot-Search&Destroy are you running?

j_t_d
2009-08-25, 14:04
Hello there j_t_d. From what I gathered in your post, it seems like TeaTimer might be the problem.

Do you have TeaTimer disabled at the moment?
What version of TeaTimer are you running?
What version of Spybot-Search&Destroy are you running?

Hello drragostea! Thank you very much for your reply and help.

TeaTimer is currently installed and is not disabled.
I'm not sure how to find the version of Tea Timer? Can you let me know?
The version of Spybot I am running is version 1.6.2.46

Thanks again.

drragostea
2009-08-26, 03:00
TeaTimer is currently installed and is not disabled.
I was referring more to whether TeaTimer was active or not (disabled).

You should be able to check the version of TT by right clicking the TT icon on the Windows Taskbar and click "About".

Laffoon
2009-08-26, 17:37
I had the same problem. Also have AVG and XP. After a recent Tea-Timer update, startup took 10+ minutes for TT to load ( all other components were loaded in app. 2 minutes). Also had a scan problem (would freeze at about 520,000 and then take 40 more minutes to complete).

Finally removed Spybot and then downloaded it without TT. Appears to have solved the problems. I wouldn't mind having TT running, so I would like to know how to do it without these inordinate delays.

drragostea
2009-08-27, 04:54
Laffoon, how many processes is your current account running?

Laffoon
2009-08-27, 16:06
Dear drragostea:

If "processes" are the same as "running tasks", the answer is about 45. All are rather small and most seem to be connected to windows, avg, or lavasoft. (I am not enough of a techie to know what each one exactly does.) Only two (firefox 7mb and my printer 1 mb) are over 1 mb. Still wondering why all these load in two minutes and adding TT increases loading time to 10+ minutes. Is there a conflict between TT and certain running tasks? If so, where can I find a list of potential conflicts?

Also, would TT have anything to do with scan freezes, or is that a separate issue?

Thanks for your interest and help.

j_t_d
2009-08-28, 02:11
I was referring more to whether TeaTimer was active or not (disabled).

You should be able to check the version of TT by right clicking the TT icon on the Windows Taskbar and click "About".

Hah! I just realized that I must not have downloaded & installed Tea Timer with Sypbot. Sorry about the misinformation, drragostea.

So...I just have Spybot installed and active. And it is causing the long startup wait problem.