PDA

View Full Version : spybot won't run....and I tried the instruction for "spybot doesn't run..."

keyboards_999
2009-08-25, 02:13
History:
Got iPod Touch. Wanted to load video's. Got convertor from CNET. Wanted to convert DVD's. Followed instructions from video convertor recommended by CNET. Loaded DVD convertor. Ran it. It completed. Ran alternate converter. It stopped and the computer rebooted itself. Eventually it came back but had "PC_antispyware2010" malware.
Updated SymantecAV files and ran it. Found multiple virus's and trojans, which it quarantined.
Rebooted.
Tried running Spybot. No joy.
Teatimer did fine a couple of things.
Found the "spybot doesn't run....what you should do" forum post. Followed the instructions. No joy.
De-installed Spybot. Re-installed.
Ran it. No joy.
Looked at task master list of process. Found multiple processes with names the same as the things I'd renamed (per instructions) spybotSD.exe.

What now??

drragostea
2009-08-25, 02:42
I hope you learn something from this. I don't know what converter you've downloaded, but CNET's word about all their downloads being safe is only half-fullfilling.

If you cannot run Spybot-Search&Destroy from the hidden .scr file, even after naming it, I'd strongly suggest you start your thread in the Malware Removal Forums and follow the directions in Matt's post (If Spybot-SD does not run... what should you do).

PS. DVD's are copyright protected. That means no converting it either.

keyboards_999
2009-08-25, 04:12
I hope you learn something from this. I don't know what converter you've downloaded, but CNET's word about all their downloads being safe is only half-fullfilling.

If you cannot run Spybot-Search&Destroy from the hidden .scr file, even after naming it, I'd strongly suggest you start your thread in the Malware Removal Forums and follow the directions in Matt's post (If Spybot-SD does not run... what should you do).

PS. DVD's are copyright protected. That means no converting it either.

Your message motivated me to go back and look again for the .scr file. This time I found 2!! One launched Spybot. I updated the files.
I ran a scan and found lots of problems. I fixed all that looked "safe" to fix.
Then I rebooted. On restart and after login, I got a number of "win32 command" popup screens, but everything seems to be running ok so far.

The CNET endorsed convertor was Videora. It referred me to DVDDecoder.

I thought it was ok to convert DVD's that I own. My bad.

thanks again for your reply.

cheers,
keyboards

drragostea
2009-08-25, 06:18
There's something fishy about Red Kawa, that I can't point my finger on. It's tainted somehow (my guess), even from CNET, because the executeable is not flagged but a file is flagged in it's Program Folder after it is installed. I think it was MalwareByte's that detects it.

The Win32 windows that pop up are normal because it means that the malware that has been residing on your machine has been removed.

If you still are in doubt about your machine's health (even after your scans), don't hesitate to check out the Malware Removal Forums.

keyboards_999
2009-08-26, 03:28
There's something fishy about Red Kawa, that I can't point my finger on. It's tainted somehow (my guess), even from CNET, because the executeable is not flagged but a file is flagged in it's Program Folder after it is installed. I think it was MalwareByte's that detects it.

The Win32 windows that pop up are normal because it means that the malware that has been residing on your machine has been removed.

If you still are in doubt about your machine's health (even after your scans), don't hesitate to check out the Malware Removal Forums.

Thanks again for your comments.
I'll follow up with malware Removal.

Viele dank.

ciao,
Leigh