PDA

View Full Version : Updating SpyBot S&D

O2008
2009-08-29, 01:58
I want to use SpyBot S&D as an on demand scanner as an adjunct to my current Antivirus/Antispyware program

So when I run the updates, can I NOT install the update for :
the immunization data base

and can I not allow SpyBot S&D to integrate into my browser? (if that part makes sense)

also how do I know taht I do NOT have teatimer active?

DougCuk
2009-08-29, 12:21
If you are saying that you want "On-demand" scanning ONLY - with no resident protection - that is possible.
During the install just un-tick the two options for "Resident IE (SDHelper)" and "Teatimer" - both are offered with tick-boxes during the install.
Immunisation is also optional - just decline the prompt during install and do not immunise from inside the program.

This will leave Spybot as a purely on-demand scanner if that is what you want.
Updates for immunisation will still be offered during the Search for Updates - however it makes no difference if you download them or not - as they will not be activated unless you apply them using the immunise button on the main Spybot menu.

You can check the immunisation status from the main Spybot menu - all should show as unprotected.

You can check the status of the two Resident modules from inside the installed program.
From the main menu switch on the Advanced options - select Mode and tick "Advanced Mode" option.
From the menu running down the left of the Spybot window select Tools->Resident
Both the resident modules should be showing as un-ticked (not active).
You can also switch these modules on and off from this screen if you have already installed Spybot.

O2008
2009-08-30, 00:27
thanks Doug C

I think I see Resident IE (SDHelper) in a program folder.

Should I delete it?
( I think my wife may have run all updates in the past with the previous version of SpyBot S&D)

DougCuk
2009-08-30, 01:25
Your question is not really very clear - but assuming my previous response was answering what you wanted to know - I will continue.

If all you want is to ensure is that SDHelper is not active - just check the " Tools->Resident" screen as per my previous post. I would not recommended deleting the file - why would you wish to do this? As long as it is inactive it would not achieve anything usefull.