PDA

View Full Version : Something is trying to change NoDriveAutoRun

Arkham
2009-08-29, 21:28
As of a couple of days ago, TeaTimer has been warning me non-stop about something trying to change the NoDriveAutoRun registry value.

Old data was 08,00,00,00 and new data was supposed to be 08,00,00.

Nothing new was installed (to my knowledge) before this started happening, and I've run scans through a variety of tools without any warnings.

Accidentally I hit 'yes' to allow the change after 2 days of no-no-no... If I shut down TeaTimer, nothing happened obviously, but when I reloaded it the warnings kept popping up.

After accidentally allowing the change, I went back in via regedit and changed the value manually to 08,00,00,00 but now the TeaTimer warnings are saying:

old: 08,00,00 and new 08,00...

Very weird, and I can't find any rogue processes or services either.

Has anyone else experienced this? Google hasn't been a friend.

I wondered if the last SpyBot update forced a check to ensure that autorun was always off -- I don't mind this as long as I know it's SpyBot trying to change the registry.

Thanks

P1h3r1e3d13
2009-09-23, 10:23
I had this pop up for NoDriveAutoRun and a couple others and I just managed to fix it.

NoDriveAutoRun is supposed to be a DWORD-type value and instead was a binary value. I have no idea how that got changed, but deleting the key and creating a new NoDriveAutoRun as a DWORD (with the default value (0x0)) fixed the problem.

For the record, the others that caused me problems were NoSharedDocuments and NoUserNameInStartMenu. They had the same issue and I performed essentially the same fix by changing their settings back and forth in Group Policy, then restarting.

drragostea
2009-09-28, 06:46
When you disable TeaTimer, all the changes would be allowed if TeaTimer was still active. Meaning every change that occurs on your machine would be allowed without TT's interference.

I don't know who or what is trying to change your Autoplay function. Either it is on or off.

I wondered if the last SpyBot update forced a check to ensure that autorun was always off...
Nope :laugh:, Spybot-SD does nothing beyond protecting your machine. It'll take down baddies and passively block them but nothing beyond that. People just keep assuming that just because Spybot is installed, it changes settings without a heads up :lip:.