PDA

View Full Version : "setup was unable to create the directory"

archaeous
2009-08-31, 01:27
Hello, I am having some difficulties in installing spybot. I am using vista 64 and am logged in as an administrator

I always get the error "setup was unable to create the directory" error 5 during installation and the program rolls back aborts and i have to start over again. It doesn't matter which directory I install it to but always get same error.
I have right clicked and run as admin.
I have checked access rights (i have full privileges and am the owner of the file)
The drives I am installing to are not set as read only.
I have tried manually creating the folder which I am able to do but still get error
I have UAC completely disabled on my machine not sure if this could be part of the problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated because this is boggling my mind

archaeous
2009-09-04, 06:46
still not figuring this out i have tried everything I can think o

spybotsandra
2009-09-04, 10:28
Hello,

The error code 5 shows that it is a problem with missing rights.
So probably it helps if you enable the UAC (User Account Control).

Please edit your registry:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe
ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

This link should also help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-or-disable-uac-from-the-windows-vista-command-line/

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

archaeous
2009-09-05, 08:09
that worked, i feel dirty for enabling UAC though haha. That is strange though I have not had it on for about a year and this is the first time something waas not allowed. And i have some pretty deep changing modifications to how windows runs.

Is there a particular reason why it is required in this case? it goes berzerk with some of the changes done so really really dislike having it on.

But regardless it works, i will just have to hope it will continue to work after i disable it again thanks for the help