PDA

View Full Version : Ext. HD & SS&D

bobnrobin
2009-09-03, 16:54
Morning, All,
Just purchased my first ext. HD - still in the box cause, of course, nothing comes with hard copy instructions any more and I would like lots of info before I hook it up. Once hooked up, I want to exact copy Everything, yes Everything on my C drive to this ext. drive.
Re: SS&D - Will it copy ? Will it update that drive when I update C if the drive is connected ??
My intention is to Not leave the ext. connected at all times. As stated, no prior experience with ext. HD's so am sure there are other ?? I should ask.

Any and all help and advice Will be Most appreciated - pertaining to not only SS&D, but external HD's ! Thanks much in advance.
bobnrobin

spybotsandra
2009-09-08, 10:38
Hello,

You do not need to install Spybot on that drive too.
You can just include it into the scan.
You can also use the command line parameter allhives.
/allhives
Scans all windows installations on your system, even inactive ones.
Example: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /allhives
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

bobnrobin
2009-09-10, 18:13
Thanks, spybotsandra for taking the time to reply..
Ummm, think I flunked the "ask good questions" test... What I want to do is make an exact copy of Everything - OS, Apps, Programs, Everything, including SS&D - on that Ext. HD. What I should have asked is if SS&D will copy properly to the Ext. HD. And, when scanning for updates to SS&D from the internal C drive, will it update the copy on the ext. drive at the same time, if it is hooked up and running.
Sorry, but this is my first time to deal with an external drive and am trying to learn all I can about how they operate before I hook it up and try to "clone" the entire disk. Went to the mfg. site - Seagate - to ask questions, but as yet, not all my questions have been answered... Am trying to avoid a total reinstall from scratch, if this internal HD dies (it happened!), because my net connection is dialup. Thought maybe, the best place to ask about SS&D was here.
Thanks for the link, it has great info. And Thanks, again, for your help and advice.
bobnrobin