PDA

View Full Version : How do I uninstall regtool? Backdoor malware?

genealogy-janet
2009-09-04, 01:36
I unwittingly installed regtool thinking that it could help with a problem I was having. After doing the freescan they wanted me to purchase. I did not buy it, but now have their scan and pop-up appear at start-up and at other times. No uninstall that I see. Right clicking the icon gives choices of open, help, or shut down. I don't trust this ware as another website calls it rogue software that opens a backdoor to my computer. A web search claims that spy bot and malwarebytes.org can take care of this problem. I've rerun spybot S&D but the:

Open
Help

box remains open from my right click to the reg tool icon in the lower righthand corner of my IE 7 screen. I do not know how to irradicate Reg Tool from my computer. Do you?

tashi
2009-09-04, 03:16
Hello genealogy-janet,

Please see this forum's FAQ, "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start a new topic providing the HJT log, and I will close this one as helpers look for threads without a response. :)

Best regards.

genealogy-janet
2009-09-04, 06:39
Thanks for responding, Tashi. I read the sticky before posting, and did not include the HJT log because I do not know how to obtain it. I suppose I may need to Wicki or do an engine search to learn how.

Once I figure that out, I will start a new thread with the log. I went to the malwarebytes site but did not download as I would be sad to load more problems. I feel that I have much to learn. I appreciate your answer. The volunteers, here, are Angels!

tashi
2009-09-04, 06:48
Hi genealogy-janet. :)

Thanks for responding, Tashi. I read the sticky before posting, and did not include the HJT log because I do not know how to obtain it. I suppose I may need to Wicki or do an engine search to learn how.

The instructions on how to produce a HJT log and the download link are in post #2 of "Before You Post" http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=1150&postcount=2

Cheers.

genealogy-janet
2009-09-04, 06:59
Thank you! I will go there, now.