PDA

View Full Version : Printing errors after install of Spybot

Melancholia
2009-09-06, 23:37
I have installed Spybot and run the scan. It found only some cookies and do not ask of changes in registry. Then I tried to print an image, but get only error report. The same with PDF file. I shut down Spybot and get the image printed. But it didn't work for the PDF file. So I uninstalled Spybot and now I can't print anything.

I think Spybot caused some problems with Postscript - my printer uses Adobe Postscript 3 - but after reinstall of printer drives it is no change. What should I do? Please, help...

(The system is Vista with Acrobat 9 Pro)

Melancholia
2009-09-07, 20:57
OK, i ran the setup of my Acrobat and chose the option "repair". Now printing works properly, I think. But there's no way i'm going to use Spybot again!

drragostea
2009-09-09, 04:30
I think we have an misunderstanding. Rest assured that Spybot-Search&Destroy does not interact with anything beyond killing malware. Not with your music, documents, downloads, Adobe Reader, etc. You name it.

I'm assuming you closed Teatimer, when you said you "shutdown Spybot"?

I have a few doubts about Teatimer being the culprit, since you didn't mention any registry changes.

It might be a glitch or a bug that rarely occurs within Adobe Reader (you mentioned you clicked the 'Repair' option), but it's very difficult to tell for sure.

But is it adequate to let this issue rest since it has been resolved?
Give Spybot-Search&Destroy another chance. It'll fight malware and protect your machine. You can always opt-out from Teatimer if you wish.

Melancholia
2009-09-10, 02:22
Thanks for reply. It sounds strange a bit, but I'm pretty sure that the problem occured just after installation of Spybot and it is connected with Postscript, not the files. (By the way, "Adobe Acrobat Pro" is not the same as "Adobe Acrobat Reader")
Why do I think so?
1. I did not install anything else meanwhile.
2. My Xerox worked just perfect and after that it printed some postscript commands errors innstead of image/PDF.
3. I tried to print a sample with my computer and an old ink-jet printer (without Postscript) and it was OK.

Maybe Spybot damaged some (Adobe?) library during installation? (It is only an amateurish hypothesis.)
I haven't wrote that earlier, but the problem occured also in other Adobe applications and, unfortunately, reinstallation of them was necessary too. I need to have those programs working without any faults and unexpected "suprises" like that and I don't have time for experiments now, but I appreciate Your work. Maybe Spybot should be tested on computer with any Adobe Creative Suite set of applications and also Postscipt printer installed?

Greetz