PDA

View Full Version : rootkit stopping repair install?

rentnec
2009-09-07, 20:18
Long Story: I am working on a friends computer (as a volunteer) and they obviously had a rootkit intection: multiple command window pop-ups, fake anti-virus screen, etc. They had taken the computer to a professional (?) who not only could not fix the rootkit problem but made things worse by adding a small 5 gig partition to the harddrive, copying the C: drive to that and then attempting (maybe) to clean the C: drive from the new partition (on this computer called H). Now the computer starts from H: and not from C: and the partition is nearly full. The first thing I did was run Smitfraudfix and then installed and ran Malwarebytes. I also installed and ran Spybot S&D. These found but apparently did not clean a W32.tdss.rtk. Thinking that the best thing to do was to try to get the computer to restart from C:, I went to Disk Management but could not see either partition. Finding that this was also rootkit behavior I attempted to clean it by running McAfee's rootkit removal beta. This found and renamed (.REN)vsfocexnossiem.sys in the system32/drivers folder. After this I could see both partitions in Disk Management and it showed C: as the System volume and H: as the Boot volume. For whatever reason, Microsoft has decided to use very confusing terms and though it sounds the opposite, the computer is booting from the C: partition but using the System (Windows) files from H:. There seems to be a complete installation of Windows on C: however. I tried to install Recovery Console as described by Microsoft but this would not run. I then slipstreamed a Windows XP SP2 boot disk and booted from that. This finally got me to recovery console (whoohoo!) and asked me which of the two installations, C: or H:, I wanted to log onto (whoohoo!) and I chose C: and ran bootcfg /scan and it found only one Windows installation, H: (doh!). So, no joy there. Thinking that I had no choice but to do a Repair install from my slipstreamed disk I started the Windows setup and expected to get to a window that told me that I had two instances of Windows but got "Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows" etc. (doh! squared). My last trick will be to replace the system software, sam, etc. from the windows/repair folder and hope that that fixes thing but BEFORE I DO I would like to find out if a rootkit or its remains are stopping my repair install. Can a rootkit cause repair install to not be an option? Is there scanning software that will look for viruses in C: if I am running from H:?

My Hijack This log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:20:48, on 9/7/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.20583)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
H:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
H:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
H:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
H:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
H:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
H:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
H:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
H:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
H:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
H:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
H:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
H:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
H:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 15\MiniMavis.exe
H:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
H:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jucheck.exe
H:\Documents and Settings\Socalkid\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - H:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - H:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - H:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - H:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "H:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "H:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "H:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] H:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] H:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "H:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] H:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "H:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] H:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [ShowDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [ShowDeskFix] regsvr32 /s /n /i:u shell32 (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: VZAccess Manager.lnk = H:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\VZAccess Manager\VZAccess Manager.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = H:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = H:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Personal Coach.lnk = H:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 15\MiniMavis.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - H:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - H:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - H:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - H:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - H:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - H:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - H:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

--
End of file - 4506 bytes