PDA

View Full Version : Spywarequake (Smitfraud)

jamesrb
2006-06-13, 22:25
Greetings,
My OS is Windows XP Home.
I somehow was infected with Spywarequake yesterday. I did a Google search on Spywarequake and based on what I found, I uninstalled Spywarequake and then ran Spybot S&D. This was before I found this forum.
I removed all items found by Spybot and manually deleted the 2 desktop shortcuts that had been installed by Spywarequake.
Now Spywarequake and all its disruptions seem to be gone (good job Spybot S&D), but when I boot-up and then click on my user account on the initial XP screen my desktop begins to open briefly and then the folder for System 32 (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) opens. I can easily close the System32 folder and then my normal desktop is shown and normal use can begin. The same thing happens when I log on to my wife's user account. I suppose that I must have deleted something that I shouldn't have.
Can someone suggest how I can prevent the System32 folder from opening everytime we open one of our user accounts? Any help is appreciated.

James

CalamityJane
2006-06-17, 01:51
Hi jamesrb,

There might be some remaining fixes to be done. Could you first please follow the removal instructions posted here:
Smitfraud:SpyAxe, SpywareFalcon, and other desktop type hijacks
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=4015

When done, post back here with the requested logs :)

tashi
2006-06-23, 16:32
This topic is closed due to lack of a response.
If you need it re-opened please send me a pm and provide a link to the thread.