PDA

View Full Version : advcheck.dll error with today's updates (9/9/2009)

antdude
2009-09-09, 16:11
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22994847-Problem-with-todays-Spybot-update

I also got this error too. Basically, I ran updater without going through SpyBot, it ran SpyBot by itself, showed this error, I manually closed Spybot, and run SpyBot manually. I think it needed to update without SpyBot running? Or bad timing in update?

Thank you in advance. :)

spybotsandra
2009-09-09, 16:14
Hello,

Seems like you have the TeaTimer open.
Please close it.
Rightclick on the TeaTimer icon in your system tray and choose exit.

If that does not help deactivate the resident protection in Spybot:
Run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkbox in front of the resident TeaTimer.

Make sure that the TeaTimer.exe is not running anymore in your taskmanager.

Then download the fresh advcheck here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe#hash(md5:23AD12D34C6E9EBC459DDAD9A5F32A08) or via the updater.
Run the exe file, it is a manual update for your advcheck.dll.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

antdude
2009-09-09, 16:32
Hello,

Seems like you have the TeaTimer open.
Please close it.
Rightclick on the TeaTimer icon in your system tray and choose exit.Hi Sandra, I don't use TeaTimer and did not see its icon.

onDvine
2009-09-09, 16:46
Like antdude, I don't use TeaTimer and never have. Still I encountered the error message (image attached) this morning. :)

spybotsandra
2009-09-09, 16:56
Hello,

What happens if you click on retry?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

onDvine
2009-09-09, 17:03
... What happens if you click on retry? ...
I don't know, Sandra. I clicked Abort the first time. On my 2nd attempt, after another user (the one who usually posts Spybot updates at DSLR) suggested trying Retry, the message didn't appear again. Spybot said I already had the latest definitions so I went ahead and immunized.

spybotsandra
2009-09-09, 17:05
Hello,

Then everything should be fine. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

onDvine
2009-09-09, 17:08
Thank you very much, Sandra. :) Have a good one!

antdude
2009-09-10, 17:53
What happens if you click on retry?Sandra, on my three PCs (XP Pro. SP2 and SP3, and W2K SP4), I used retry on this error. Is this a problem if we don't retry and abort?

onDvine
2009-09-10, 19:20
Above, when Sandra asked me "What happens if you click on retry?" I took that as her recommendation.

Late yesterday I got the same error updating Spybot on my husband's Vista computer and clicked Retry without choosing Abort first. No sign of a problem so far. :)

Da_bomb
2009-09-11, 01:11
I came across the same problem, but I clicked abort the first time, and now when I check for updates, I don't see the update.

Or should I just go to that "fresh" update link you provided, Tashi?

onDvine
2009-09-11, 02:20
I came across the same problem, but I clicked abort the first time, and now when I check for updates, I don't see the update. ...
That's exactly how it went for me. I didn't get the error message until after the updates were downloaded but before the immunizations were applied. Next time I tried, no updates were available. I clicked Immunize (twice, as usual), and it did add immunizations.

Da_bomb
2009-09-11, 20:55
That's exactly how it went for me. I didn't get the error message until after the updates were downloaded but before the immunizations were applied. Next time I tried, no updates were available. I clicked Immunize (twice, as usual), and it did add immunizations.

I'm frankly less concerned that the Immunizations will work or not. My concern is that the software isn't properly updated. When I was installing them the first time I noticed a 1.6.4 version number, yet my window still only shows 1.6.2 as the version number for Spybot.

As such, I was merely curious as to whether I needed to redo that update...

onDvine
2009-09-11, 21:48
... My concern is that the software isn't properly updated. ...
Okay. Mine also shows 1.6.2. Will wait with you for a knowledgeable response.

Edit: 1.6.2 is the latest version shown here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html