PDA

View Full Version : 9/9/09 Updates

alicez
2009-09-09, 16:54
I tried to perform the usual Wednesday update today and the three 'usual' updates downloaded and then I got this message:

"C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
The existing file is marked Read-Only.
Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation".

What is going on please? I clicked Retry (not knowing what else to do) and nothing happened. I restarted my computer. I opened S&D again and checked for updates and was told no newer updates available.

Buster
2009-09-09, 17:07
The advcheck.dll has been updated after the reboot because you selected "retry". Hence you do not see any new updates the last time you checked.

alicez
2009-09-09, 17:30
The advcheck.dll has been updated after the reboot because you selected "retry". Hence you do not see any new updates the last time you checked.

#1- What do I do now?
#2- Is my S&D okay?
#3- I believe there was something mentioned also about version (?) update, or something similar to that? My Help/About states 1.6.2.46. Is that the latest version?

2009-09-10, 00:54
#1- What do I do now?

No need to do anything, just a minor error. :)

#2- Is my S&D okay?

Yes everything is fine now. The update was applied after you restarted. There are no updates available because you did them. :)

#3- I believe there was something mentioned also about version (?) update, or something similar to that? My Help/About states 1.6.2.46. Is that the latest version?

Yes, you should have the latest version.

Hope that helps ease your worry. I got the same message as well. You are good. =]

alicez
2009-09-10, 01:22
Thank you.
Notice that I received the same 'error' message

""C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation"."

on my other 2 computers also.

Will do nothing more and will stop worrying!

2009-09-10, 01:41
I have tried it on multiple operating systems and am getting the same result. Must be a slight bug in the updates. If anyone is reading this confused about this message; simply choose retry and then restart your computer. The updates will then be applied, and all will be well. I am not sure why this is occurring, maybe we can get a more thorough answer from team spybot soon on this.

dimas
2009-09-12, 02:31
I tried to perform the usual Wednesday update today and the three 'usual' updates downloaded and then I got this message:

"C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\adv check.dll
Check Retry to remove the read-only attribute and try again. Ignore to skip this file, or Abort to cancel installation".

What is going on please? I clicked Retry (not knowing what else to do) and nothing happened. I restarted my computer. I opened S&D again and checked for updates and was told no newer updates available.

---------------------------

I donīt know if I did ok. I search for advchec.ddll properties tab, untick the only reading mark, went back to the update message, selected the retry option and went back to advcheck.dll an , properties, and tick again the only reading option. What I donīt know is why it is a only reading file.

Good luck

Dimas - new one

cow32323
2009-09-14, 22:09
so its safe to leave alone ?
I was unsure if id messed it up and wanted to uninstall

mei

Da_bomb
2009-09-19, 00:59
Hello!

I have a lingering question from that 9/09/2009 update.

I downloaded that update, but when the error popped up, I clicked abort. Judging by the version number thrown out in this thread, my Spybot didn't get updated as I don't have the .42 at the end of the version number.

Also, I think TeaTimer is blocking it ("NoDriveTypeAutoRun" new info:"hex,75,00,00,") from running every time I start my computer, and I think it is unnecessary to have the TT log growing like that.

Would there be any way to undo the block, assuming I screwed up and still need to update the advcheck.dll file?

Or am I completely off-base?