PDA

View Full Version : Problems reinstalling Spybot 1.6.2

robinsonne
2009-09-10, 16:19
Hi all,

I was cleaning a laptop that was full of malware, got it cleaned up, but whatever was on there had messed up the spybot installation that was on there. So when I went to uninstall Spybot, it left behind the spybotSD.exe file which I don't ever remember it doing before, and when I try reinstalling I get an error message saying it's a read-only file (choose "Retry", etc.). The only choice it lets me do is "Ignore".

I guess the question I have is...is there a way to delete/remove that spybotSD.exe file that seems to be stuck there?

Thank you in advance!

spybotsandra
2009-09-10, 16:26
Hello,

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

"O"...
2009-09-11, 06:33
Hello.

I have also had a few problems with Spybot in the last few days, spent several hours last night poking around the forums and am hoping that there is a simple solution to my problem.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Vista dual core, 2 gig ram.
I've shut down lots of services, running the os quite lean as I push the machine fairly hard (I've been told) and find that my cpu usage and physical memory are often very high and getting higher. I have minimal startup items.

Concerned with TeaTimer's climbing cpu usage (about 46meg as of yesterday), I checked the Settings. In the black/white lists, I had only allowed 4 registry changes. Blocked Registry Changes, Blocked Process, Allowed Processes were empty.

I opened Spybot (as administrator), and went into tools, deleted one duplicate entry, then clicked the second tab at the top, wondering what screen I would see. Instantly I had archived the list, and instantly! the TeaTimer.exe process in Task Manger cpu consumption more then doubled, from 46 to 93meg.

Not very happy about this, I tried to find the log (thinking I would delete it), failed, and decided that I would uninstall the software and do a fresh install. This was based on what I had read in different threads last night.

I shut down Teatimer and Spybot, then uninstalled. Encountered the 1060 error, followed the instructions at the link provided at these forums to delete the registry entry (as a note, the registry entry did NOT match what was provided at this site's little video, but using the internet and searching the other entries I was able to narrow it down to one entry), and continued with the uninstall. Apparantly it was successful.

I left the empty SpybotS&D folder in the Program Files, but moved the Spybot folder from the Application folder on to the desktop (in case I needed it again).

I reinstalled (only to bump into the sdhelper.dll issues and the second one - I forget what it was, but I clicked Ignore both times and completed the installation, updated, ran a scan etc. Then I checked TeaTimer in Task Manager expecting to see a MUCH smaller cpu usage. It was exactly what it was before I went through all this!

This is making me wonder whether there is some other file located elsewhere that I can just delete? I was looking to make a FRESH install of the software since I noted that other users said that over time CPU consumption tends to increase. In my case, it very clearly has not, and I would like to restore it back to where it was last night before all this began. It occurred to me that I might be able to get help here.

I love this product, have been using it since 2003 on my own machine (which has never been infected or infested) and on machines that I have cleaned out for other people. You all do awesome work and I am so grateful that the product exists. Thank You!

This is the first time I have ever posted anything in a forum, so I hope I have provided relevant details and thank you in advance for any advice or learning you may offer.

"O"...
2009-09-12, 03:55
Well, I don't really know what happened, but today, CPU consumption has fallen down to 35meg, lower that is was before I did uninstall.

What I'm wondering now is, when one clicks "ignore" on the reinstall, are the files being read, or "worked" after the installation is complete, and, is there any way to test whether the softerware is providing the same protection that it was before this whole exercise began?

This question, I think, would hold true for Robinsonne as well.

Hoping for response or redirection in the near future

And thanks again for providing such a valuable tool

"O"...