PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer (i.e. File Manager) and the Start Menu Button are not working...

eman11
2009-09-12, 10:51
Windows Explorer (File Manager) and the Start Menu Button are not working. Most of the time, none of my short-cuts or icons appear either. Only the background custom wallpaper bitmap image. It looks like a blank screen other than the image.

Windows Explorer and the Start Menu Button are not working, except in "Safe Mode".
I'm not able to open "Windows Explorer" (the Windows File Manager) to save and load my files.

I can run some tasks from [cntr + alt + del] using "Task Manager", but it's very limited. Also, "Explorer.exe" is running upon boot up in task manager, but each time only part of it loads into memory. Therefore, I either get just my background wallpaper with "no icons", no start button, and no "Quicklaunch" icons. Other times, I will get the upper icons, but no Quicklaunch icons. Even when I can see the "Start" button on the bottom left, I'm not able to click and run it. I usually just get an hourglass, when I move my mouse into the "Task Bar" area at the bottom of the screen.

All of the icons, Star button menu, etc. work when I'm in "Safe Mode". Windows explorer works, as well, in Safe Mode. One other piece of information. I've tried to go back using "System Restore" (in Safe Mode) and it will run through the entire process showing a progress bar complete, then it will shut down and start to reboot. But it never seems to actually go back to my restore point, in other words the "System Restore" doesn't take. I usually have to press the Reset button on my computer and then choose F8 for "Safe Mode" again. I'm must have tried to do a "System Restore" about 30 times, over the last few days. Arrrrrhhh! I think if it worked, it would likely resolve my issue.

I've been struggling with this issue for over the last week and would really appreciate any help to resolve it.
Thanks! http://forums.spybot.info/images/smilies/Snorkle.gif

By the way, I have a 1.61mb "GMER" Text file, but I'm unable to upload it to this forum, so if it is helpful, please let me know where and how I should send it. I also have a DDS "Attach.txt" file, as well.

Thank You.

Blade81
2009-09-15, 10:09
Hi,

Please archive those into zip files and see if you're able to attach the logs that way.

I need to see:
-GMER log
-dds.txt
-attach.txt

eman11
2009-09-15, 19:58
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Here are the requested files:
-GMER log
-dds.txt
-attach.txt

I had to split the GMER into two parts and then zip each to make it small enough to upload.

Thank You,
Eman

Blade81
2009-09-15, 20:13
Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:

Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html)
Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New dds.txt log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

eman11
2009-09-16, 02:35
Hi Blade,

Thanks for your recommendations. I downloaded and installed the combo fix, as you recommended. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I can't connect to the Internet via Internet Explorer, nor due Windows Updates, because of this. This problem also prevented me from being able to install the "Recovery Console", because everytime it tries to connect to Microsoft for updates, it says there is no connection. Please note that I have a high speed cable modem and that my "Opera" browser works fine (connects to the internet), but just not IE. I'm currently on IE 7. I'm unable to uninstall IE 7, which means that I can't temporarily install an earlier v6, nor reinstall v7, nor will allow me to install version 8.

I have my original OEM XP Professional CDROM, which is what I was trying to use for a manual "Recovery Console" install, but it's always the same issues with it not being able to connect to Microsoft. Please advise.

Should I run the Combo Fix anyway and when it says, "Do you want to continue to install Windows XP Pro", allow it to continue? I'm hesistent, as I don't want to wipe out my OS accidentally in the process.

Here are my system's limits. I need to boot and use Windows Safemode for any of these things I do. While in Safemode, I'm not able to access Microsoft's site for update, except through Opera, which Microsoft only wants you to use IE. I did manually try and download and update, via Opera, but it said it was an older update than my current (SP3 updates), which might be true.

Thanks...I'll check back to see your recommendations, later tonight. I want to get those reports to you ASAP, so I'll follow your instructions exactly.

Blade81
2009-09-16, 07:17
Hi,

Your earlier logs didn't tell me do you have Windows XP pro or home edition and if it's English or some other language (click start->run->write winver and press enter, check header of opened window to see the version). Please let me know these things and I give you a link for recovery console file that you can use with ComboFix.

eman11
2009-09-16, 08:45
Hi,

The "write winver" didn't work, it tried to launch Word Pad and said my path was not valid.

However, I know that I have Windows XP Professional OEM (English is the language I have installed and I bought it in the USA, so I'm guessing "English" is the version) 2002, with Service Pack 3. It also says, 2002 XP Pro on my CD and when I click my "System" icon.

I can also tell you in "Safe Mode" it says, the following at the top of my screen, "Microsoft (Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234:Service Pack 3)", if that helps.

Thanks, I'll wait for your link for "recovery console" and try and get you the report soon, after I download it.

Blade81
2009-09-16, 15:43
Hi,

Download the recovery console disk version here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=535d248d-5e10-49b5-b80c-0a0205368124) (suitable for xp pro sp2 or above). Transfer it to same location with ComboFix.exe on infected system. Then drag'n'drop recovery console file to ComboFix.

eman11
2009-09-18, 10:09
Hi,

I uploaded the "Combofix" log file, called "log.txt" to the attachments. I feel like we are getting very close to a solution.

Thanks,
E

Blade81
2009-09-18, 15:27
Hi,

Are you able to boot in normal mode now? Please post fresh dds log taken there if possible.

eman11
2009-09-18, 19:20
I've always been able to boot to normal mode. However, in normal mode, I've never had my "Windows Explorer", no icons, no quicklink icons, no start button or start menu. Those are all the things that I'm trying to resolve.

As such, I can only run a few very limited things through the [cntl] + [alt] + [del] = task menu. The rest of my screen is blank, except for my wallpaper.

To answer your question, no I don't think I can run the DDS in "normal mode", usually if I can browse to a file through my task manager, it usually won't open and usually just hangs my system. I then have to create a new task manager to cancel the last action.

Ready for my next step... I have leave in a few minutes for work, but if it's something quick I can do right now, I can try right before I leave.

Do you think I need to run something to restore some of the original Windows files, or is that what the Recovery Console does?

eman11
2009-09-18, 19:29
Here is a new DDS and Attach text, run in Safe Mode. If I'm able to later get those to run in "normal mode", I'll send an update. But for now, I don't think they will run in normal mode.

Thanks.

Blade81
2009-09-18, 23:46
I've always been able to boot to normal mode. However, in normal mode, I've never had my "Windows Explorer", no icons, no quicklink icons, no start button or start menu.
Have you tried to use normal mode after latest ComboFix run? What does "never" mean here? Sounds weird if those issues have always been there.

eman11
2009-09-19, 03:27
Have you tried to use normal mode after latest ComboFix run? What does "never" mean here? Sounds weird if those issues have always been there.

I shouldn't have used the word "never". I should have said, since the problems started 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to run applications properly in normal mode.

What I meant, is that for these 2-3 weeks my computer hasn't been working right and therefore has these issues. But prior to these problems, all my icons, start menu and Windows explorer worked fine.

Additionally, what I meant is that I've been able to boot to normal mode, even with these issues, but I haven't been able run applications in "normal mode" to fix them.

So to run DDS, I can only do it if I boot to "safe mode". In normal mode, my computer won't let me browse to the file and run it.

I hope that clears up any confusion on the issue. In the meantime, is there something I can do to move forward to a fix? Thanks, again.

Blade81
2009-09-19, 11:17
What is still unclear to me is if you have tried to run programs like DDS in normal mode after ComboFix run.

eman11
2009-09-19, 18:39
Yes, I have to run DSS 3 times after Combofix. No, it does not work. It just freezes before it even launches. I then have control/Alt/del a new task manager window to stop the "non responsive" application.

Blade81
2009-09-19, 22:09
Hi,

You have lots of different security programs installed there. Those may be part reason for your issues with windows explorer. Also, I see a couple of file explorer "tweakers": ShellLess Explorer 1.24 & xplorer˛ lite. Were those installed before all the mess started?

You should uninstall some of that security software installed there.

Leave only one program of each of these categories installed:

a) antispyware
-a-squared Anti-Malware 3.5
-Ad-Aware
-Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 (outdated, should be replaced with the latest 1.62)
-Spyware Doctor 3.5

b) antivirus
-avast! Antivirus
-AVG Free 8.5
-NOD32 antivirus system

c) firewall
-Online Armor 3.5
-ZoneAlarm

Uninstall these too:
-ESET Online Scanner
-ESET Online Scanner v3
-Norton Security Scan
-Panda ActiveScan 2.0

eman11
2009-09-20, 01:53
Hi,

I will try to remove those programs in "safe mode", as you have suggested, since I can't in normal mode.

To answer your question about ShellLess Explorer and xplorer lite. I orginally installed "ShellLess Explorer" awhile back maybe 9 months ago (before this mess started), when I was having some issues with Windows Explorer. Those issues, eventually sort of just worked themselves out over time and I continued to just use Windows Explorer, instead of ShellLess Explorer. I only installed xplorer˛ lite (after the mess), in the last 2 weeks, becuase I was trying to get "any" form of a Windows File Explorer working to be able to access my files. All 3 programs will not launch, nor run in normal mode. But they all work in SafeMode. I'll try and remove those 2 apps. I wish there was an easy way to remove/uninstall Windows Explorer and then just reinstall it. But I know Microsoft has it "embedded" into the OS.

My main apps, prior to the "mess" where mainly the following: AVG free, ZoneAlarm, and SpyBot. I had installed "avast! Antivirus" about 4-6 months ago (even though I know your suppose to only run one anti-virus, my bad), because my AVG had found a few viruses and I know that almost no antivirus program finds all of them. So, I wanted a 2nd opinion, so to speak, with Avast to try and find some more potential viruses.

I will go ahead and remove as many of the applications, as I can according to your notes.

Thanks.

eman11
2009-09-20, 20:31
Hi,

I've removed all of the programs you've listed, except for:
AVG Free Antivirus
Spybot
ZoneAlarm

Still the same custom wallpaper screen, when I boot to Normal Mode, but none of the other parts are working right.

Blade81
2009-09-20, 21:16
Ok. Post fresh dds.txt & attach.txt file contents.

eman11
2009-09-21, 00:23
Hi,

I was able to remove an older version of Ad Aware, but I have a newer version that I wasn't able to remove using the add/remove button. Also, I don't see an uninstall file in the Lavasoft folder. Other than that, as I mentioned previously, I've removed all of the other apps, except for these 4 protection apps.

AVG Free Antivirus
Spybot
ZoneAlarm

(Ad-Aware) - I want to remove it, but it's being a bit stubborn.

Blade81
2009-09-21, 07:38
Kindly post fresh dds.txt & attach.txt logs as instructed.

eman11
2009-09-22, 21:22
After removing those apps, and rebooting, I haven't been able to get back into Safe Mode (yet). I hope I can, but for now it's only loading in normal mode, which only has the Task bar working.

I'll check back with you shortly, as I try to get Safe Mode to boot.

Blade81
2009-09-23, 15:22
Hi,

What error do you get? Have you tried last known good configuration boot option?

eman11
2009-09-23, 21:19
It wasn't an error message per say, but rather it would just hang and not load. Here is the good and bad news. It seems to be booting to Safe mode again, but a few days ago when changing some settings, I accidentally triggered Windows - Registration Warning. It said, I had 3 days to register, which was by midnight last night. But it will only work in Normal Mode, according to MS. And normal doesn't work on my system, as you know.

So for the moment I'm looked out of my Windows (that I have bought and paid for, thanks Microsoft!)

Blade81
2009-09-24, 17:35
Hi,

What happens if you boot into normal mode, kill explorer.exe thru task manager and then restart it from task manager by clicking File --> New Task (run) and then browsing to c:\windows\explorer.exe?

You have to sort out that activation issue with Microsoft.

eman11
2009-09-24, 23:11
Hi,

When I do that it basically doesn't do anything. Meaning it will reload explorer partially into memory, but it doesn't open up or anything.

At the moment, due to this dumb Microsoft activation issue, which I need to sort out, I'm not able to run Task Manager. I can only get the pop-up activation window from Microsoft, but it is completely blank (just a white box), so I'm not able to activate it. I'm going to try and contact Microsoft today and see if I can get this activation issue resolved. Then I will continue to try your recommendation. Thanks.

eman11
2009-09-29, 11:42
To make a long story short...I spent 1/2 the day with Microsoft on the phone to try and get my "Genuine Advantage" activation resolved. They had me try a few different things and the end result created a "hardware driver error" message would appear during the booting process. Because of this, they told me the only thing I could due, was to do a "Parallel install" of XP Pro on the same C: drive, then copy all my files to a backup drive. They said the final step was to format my C: drive, then reinstall Windows.

I'm very disappointed and frustrated by this end result, because I feel like it's partially Microsoft's fault that this hardware issue has resulted from me following their advice and steps. Especially, after all the time and energy I've already spent in trying to resolve my original problem.

I want to thank you very much for all your efforts and time! At this point, I don't know if there is a lot more that can be done to fix the original install.

I will leave you with this message. At the present, I have two boot options on my computer when I start it up. It will boot to the original files on the C: drive which has the (Microsoft registration message - Genuine Advantage Registration), which prevents me from booting into Normal mode and I think might prevent me from booting into Safe Mode, as well. Or I can boot into the newly installed XP Pro, which is on the same drive with access to all my files. So, I could potentially run any programs to try and fix them.

From what I can see, it seems that my only "real" option at this point is to do a full new install and waste another week or two of reinstalling all my applications.

Please advise or give your thoughts on the situation.

Thank You.

Blade81
2009-09-29, 15:18
Hi,

My opinion would probably be to backup stuff like pictures, music and videos and then do a reformat. Yes, reinstalling software takes time but an attempt to survive the situation otherwise takes much time too, maybe even more and still you may end up with reformat option.

To avoid similar thing happen it's good to have hard drive image created (after reformat) that has commonly used programs already installed. Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) and Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/) both have handy programs available for doing this. They cost some money but are worth it.

eman11
2009-10-03, 15:46
Thanks for all your help and trying to get my system back to normal. I really appreciate it!

Yes, I agree with you. I've decided to cut my losses and start over with a full reformat. I'm currently backing up my important data that is on my C drive.

You mentioned two programs for copying my system and I was wondering how they stack up against "Ghost"? I've read that some "Disk Imaging" programs run inside of Windows, but as a result they don't copy some of the "locked" Windows files.

If you had to pick only one for yourself to use, what would be "The Best" or your favorite one out there? I need it to work with XP Pro, but it would be good if it also worked with Windows 7. I'm mainly looking for something that "really" works, that I could make a mirror image on a different size hard drive and then hook that one up to my system and it would boot up with everything working and in tact.

Thanks.

Blade81
2009-10-03, 16:11
You're welcome :)

Do you mean Norton Ghost? Both my recommendations should do their job as well or better.

I use Paragon Drive Backup myself on Win7.

Blade81
2009-10-11, 09:35
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

Note:If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.