PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer script error

markjspinnover
2009-09-13, 20:38
I use Firefox and IE, sometimes together.

Recently I changed my security permissions for IE on one of the computers. So after that I would get pop-up messages that display:

'IE Script Error',
some garbage, and
'Continue Script? Yes or No'.

Naturally I connected this with IE. But then it popped up on the other computer- where IE was not ran for a long time. Red Flags popped up in my mind!!!

Is this malware/spyware/a virus?

Thank You,
Mark Spinnover
----------------------------
www.sharpenedtools.com

Zenobia
2009-09-14, 01:15
When you changed the security permissions for IE on the one computer,did you set it on High level?
And did you also change the security permissions for IE on the other computer?

What version of IE do you have on both computers,and what operating systems do you have?

markjspinnover
2009-09-14, 01:48
Zenobia wrote:
When you changed the security permissions for IE on the one computer,did you set it on High level?
And did you also change the security permissions for IE on the other computer?

What version of IE do you have on both computers,and what operating systems do you have?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One- laptop- XP, SP2. IE8. This was the one I was mess'n with the security options on. They were at a high level, but I found that lots of web-pages would not run. I started to lower them.

Other pc- The one with the weird message: Walmart special desktop- XP, SP3. IE8. Hardly ever run IE8 on this computer... not for a while now. All settings are at default on this one.

Both have Spybot S&D on them: scheduled to run every 3 hours.

Zenobia
2009-09-14, 02:19
Please have a look at this page. :)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

On the Other pc,what is the weird message?Is it just the script error,or something else?

markjspinnover
2009-09-14, 04:09
Thank you for the tip.

I was following the different things to do to stop this error, just to make sure at I've covered all the bases.

> turn off the Scripting Debugger in Internet Explorer
-When I looked at the IE settings, both Disable Script Debugging - IE, and Disable Script Debugging - Other were both already checked.

> Test a Web page from another user account, another browser, and another computer
-When I clicked on the down-arrow to show web-page history, www.google.com was at the top. I doubt if this was the culprit. Besides, that must have been a while ago anyways.

> Method 3: Verify that Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not being blocked by Internet Explorer
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Security tab.
4. Click Default Level.
5. Click OK.
-In checking this, the Default button was grayed out... meaning that it already was at default level.

> Method 4: Remove all the temporary Internet-related files
in Browsing History - Delete temporary files, history, cookies, saved password and web form information
-Trying this one now. I hope that this fixes it.
If not, there are more things I can try from the handy site you listed. :bigthumb:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
By the way, it was this pc that had the error, which is why I thought that it was weird since I have not ran IE on it for some time. The other one is fine for now.

Mark
www.sharpenedtools.com

Zenobia
2009-09-14, 04:40
Method 4: Remove all the temporary Internet-related files
in Browsing History - Delete temporary files, history, cookies, saved password and web form information
-Trying this one now. I hope that this fixes it.
Hope it does work,and glad IE is fine on the first one.Let me know how it goes. :)