PDA

View Full Version : Spybot hangs after loading

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-15, 02:10
After the loading bar of Spybot fills out, it hangs and the main program window does not appear, regardless of how long it runs. This problem persists even after attempting to reinstall, although as I recall, it only occurs after installing the latest version of TeaTimer (my memory is a bit hazy, since it has been some months since I attempted to reinstall and update again).

Zenobia
2009-09-15, 02:22
If Spybot is currently installed,you could trying booting into safe mode,then try running Spybot.
Safe Mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Please let me know how it goes. :)

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-15, 03:53
I just tried running it in safe mode, and observed the same behavior. Should I reinstall Spybot again and more carefully keep track of which update seems to cause this behavior?

Zenobia
2009-09-15, 08:20
Yes,you could try that if you like.
You might want to see if anything in this post works,first. :)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-15, 19:10
Actually, I tried the methods suggested in that post before posting here. I'm personally doubtful it's some type of badware preventing Spybot from running, because the loading bar does come up, but then, badware acts awfully weird sometimes... :lip:

I'll try reinstalling and see if I can identify the exact problematic update when I get home, then.

Zenobia
2009-09-16, 03:28
Okay. :)

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-16, 18:12
Hmm... Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to this yesterday, but I *should* be able to do it by the end of the week (famous last words =P ).

Zenobia
2009-09-17, 06:46
Sure,no hurry. :)

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-22, 04:09
All right, I tried reinstalling 1.6.2, but got the same hang, so I uninstalled it and went back to 1.6.0 (a version that had previously worked for me), but it stalled on me again. Given that, I'm not sure if it would be worth trying even older versions or not.

Zenobia
2009-09-22, 11:38
What operating system do you have?

spybotsandra
2009-09-22, 11:59
Hello,

Please have a look at this link (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Zenobia
2009-09-22, 12:40
I guess Dinoguy1000 tried the steps on the sticky before posting(post 5),Sandra,except posting in malware removal. :)

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-22, 19:22
Indeed. I'm no newb to spyware removal, though I'm definitely not an expert (I'm also quite familiar with internet forums, so I know to look for do-me-first threads before posting). I didn't go to malware removal because I doubt the issue is being caused by malware (but, as I said earlier, malware acts just plain wierd sometimes, so...). =)

What operating system do you have?

Windows XP SP2 (Pro, I believe). I can get you the computer specs when I get home (but, off the top of my head, it has 96 MB RAM and ~11GB hard drive (it started out as a 98 computer)).

bitman
2009-09-22, 23:42
Windows XP SP2 (Pro, I believe). I can get you the computer specs when I get home (but, off the top of my head, it has 96 MB RAM and ~11GB hard drive (it started out as a 98 computer)).

If that's true the answer is simple, you're out of RAM.

I can't imagine Windows XP with that little RAM being able to run more than notepad in this day and age.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-23, 19:07
If that's true the answer is simple, you're out of RAM.

I can't imagine Windows XP with that little RAM being able to run more than notepad in this day and age.

Bitman

Actually, you'd be surprised what an empty startup folder and a little patience can get you... That being said, it is very annoying constantly having to wait for programs that shouldn't take a tenth as long as they do to start up. As for Spybot, 1.6.2 actually was working on my computer until I tried installing one of the updates, so I doubt it's because I'm out of RAM or anything.

bitman
2009-09-23, 21:14
I personally run Spybot S&D on an older PII-400 system, but it does have 768MB of RAM and a 20GB HDD.

Even if you could get it to run on your system, I'd guess it would take hours to run a scan, since mine takes over an hour and a half. Since it's unlikely you could run any reasonable real-time protection with this little RAM and still open a browser, it doesn't seem worth the trouble to me unless you have at least about 256MB and a PIII.

I plan to finally retire this old PC later this year when I buy a new media PC with Windows 7. Playing with an old PC like these seems like fun until you realize all you're really doing is managing (and waiting for) the PC and not actually getting anything done with it. I really only use it for testing of the old Windows 2000 OS anyway and that will be officially unsupported by mid-2010.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-24, 02:52
As I recall, a full scan typically takes ~2 hours. But yes, I've definitely noticed that I do far more managing than anything else on this computer (and you're right, I don't run any type of real-time protection on it).

I would have retired this computer ages ago if I had the money to buy a replacement. =/

bitman
2009-09-24, 05:00
What's the make and model or the motherboard type if it's a noname?

Do you know if it's maxed out for RAM? Though it probably won't speed up much it at least wouldn't be RAM starved and start thrashing the disk for memory, which is most likely what is occuring when you attempt to start Spybot S&D or anything else requiring large amounts of memory.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-24, 08:03
It's a Compaq Presario (I have a feeling that's only the make, though, and looking up the model number would require me to shut the computer off and probably completely disconnect it because of where it's at). I thought I could pull the motherboard info from the Device Manager, but apparently I'm not looking in the right place. =/

As a correction to my earlier statement (96 MB RAM), this computer actually only has 92 MB RAM (and, now that I look, an AMD-K6 3D processor @ 450 MHz).

bitman
2009-09-24, 17:49
The model number will be crucial, since each model can use different motherboards and in fact there are even Compaq Presario desktop and notebook models available with that processor, which you also never specified, though I'm betting it's a desktop.

The Presario desktop models of that era appear to have shipped with 96MB RAM, so the 4MB missing is probably reserved for the video memory.

They also indicate that the 3 DIMM slots are upgradable to 384MB (SyncDRAM DIMM required). This might be proprietary memory, but we'll know better when you provide the model number.

Looking up the RAM for the desktop models I found using that processor shows modules up to 64MB each available from one vendor, which would provide 192MB total, less the 4 to 8MB used by the video. This might barely be enough to operate, though it would be better if you could find a couple 128MB modules somewhere.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-24, 18:59
Yes, it's a desktop model. I'll get the model number when I get home, then. And sorry about stringing this information out like I have been... I realize it's probably kind of annoying for you. =/

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-25, 05:17
Here's the model number: 1L96CYS2TA56

bitman
2009-09-25, 05:41
Actually, that looks more like a serial number.

The model number should be something like 4 digits, probably near the Compaq Presario name, though it could be anywhere. Most likely it's a 5000 series unit like a model 52xx or 58xx.

This is based on information I found at hp.com, which acquired Compaq a few years ago.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-25, 23:39
You're right, that was a serial number (poor lighting played tricks on my eyes =P ). I completely unhooked the computer and looked it over very carefully, and a sticker on the back with the voltages listed also said "Series CM 1001" - I'm assuming that's the series/model number, it sounds much closer to what you described.

I also opened it up to blow the dust out, and while I was in there, I pulled a couple pieces of info from the motherboard: one was a sticker with a barcode which had "*L9064*" above the barcode (in pretty big print, so I'm assuming it's an important number), and the other, printed directly along one edge of the motherboard, was the text "Replace with Compaq spare 120694".

I'm hoping at least *one* of these is enough for you to figure out what I have now. =)

bitman
2009-09-26, 12:59
I'm unable to find any specific information for a CM 1001, though there is a little out there. To make sure we aren't chasing a ghost, take a look at this document explaining how to find a Model number on a Compaq Presario.

How Do I Find My Model Number?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00004461&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=416412

I'd expect the Presario name to be listed near the number like is shown in the pictures.

I think the CM 1001 may just be a general series number rather than a specific model. I'd really expect the true model number to be on the same label as the serial number nearer the top in most cases.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-27, 05:15
No dice - I carefully reviewed every sticker on the case when I had the computer unplugged, and there's nothing coming even close to any of the stickers mentioned in the link you provided me. There is an SKU number on the same sticker as the serial number I gave you previously, but I don't think that's it either (if it actually is, feel free to shout at me for wasting so much of your time =) ).

In addition, this computer used to have a cover over the CD/DVD drive slots (it actually only shipped with a CD(-R?) drive, though), which may have had the model number on it, but that cover was removed at some point (probably by myself; feel free to shout even more now) and I have no idea what may have happened to it since then. However, this computer also has a floppy and ZIP drive, and the bottom of the front has a serial port (I think) and two USB ports (if any of that helps narrow the list at all). I'd take pictures and upload them for you if I could, but I have no way to do so. =(

bitman
2009-09-27, 17:36
OK, let's try a different approach then, since there's little information about the CM 1001 anywhere and none that I can find on the HP site, which now owns Compaq.

Take a look at the picture on this page, does it look like your PC?

COMPAQ PRESARIO Tower Computer
http://www.jlaenterprises.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=368

If not, does this Compaq Presario model look more like it (small picture on right)?

Compaq Presario 5240 Desktop PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=93149&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

The Series 5000 models have specs similar to your PC, including zip drive and hard drive capacity, but may be a parallel model series to the CM 1001.

I can find none of the specific information you've provided on Compaq or HP sites.

Also, if you are willing to open the case and remove just one of the three RAM DIMM modules that should be found there, you could get all the numbers directly off of these to see if we can find them online. That may allow us to identify memory type better than by model.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-09-28, 00:11
Nope, neither one looks the same, although it is the same color as the tower in the first image. Also, my computer only has two RAM modules, not three (but there are three RAM slots on the motherboard).

bitman
2009-09-28, 00:54
OK, that means you've got a 64MB and a 32MB module, the 64MB is probably in the 'first' slot so that would be the best to look at.

Since we've got no real grasp of the system itself, the only way is to get all the numbers off of the RAM stick(s) and try to cross reference them at HP or elsewhere online. If you aren't comfortable with this, you'd have to find either a friend or computer store that is and it's possible they might have the RAM available themselves.

The real problem is we won't be absolutely certain what the maximum RAM capacity is, though I'd expect it to be similar to the Series 5000 units from the same era based on your 450MHz AMD processor.

To be safe, we could just try to find the 64MB modules like the one you already have, since we know this works and two more would at least give you 192MB - 4MB for video, which is more than double your current capacity.

Bitman

Dinoguy1000
2009-10-06, 21:33
Sorry about not replying before; I haven't had the time to do this yet. It looks, though, like you're recommending I buy more RAM... I really don't want to sink any money into this computer, though, and as I've said before, Spybot *used* to work on it just fine; it was only after updating that I had problems.