PDA

View Full Version : Cause for concern?

Reiver
2009-09-15, 19:35
Hi,
I'm hoping someone on here can give me some advice regarding my pc.
The other day I ran the latest M/S updates then shortly afterwards, a message popped up on screen saying " DR WATSON postmortem debugger has encountered a problem" and asked if I wanted to send the info to M/S or not. After that the system went really slow, so I went on the task manager and it showed that alg.exe was in use using about 13k.
Also, the security centre is not enabled and I can't fix it but it does recognise that my firewall is in use (Norton).
My problem is I asked two computer repair companies and they gave me conflicting responses.
The first made it sound really serious and insisted I bring it in for a health check using an external virus checker.
The second said just run Spybot-who is right? I am running spybot now, but the first guy said that any anti virus/spyware programmes on the system will not detect the problem. The wen seems full of info on these things being viruses.
Are these things serious and if so, how do I resolve them?

Many thanks for reading and apologies if there is an answer within this forum, but I get confused and panicky where viruses are concerned!

tashi
2009-09-15, 20:01
Hello Reiver,

For one of our volunteer analysts to advise you, please follow the procedure in this forum's FAQ to produce a log and then start a new topic.

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Best regards. :)