PDA

View Full Version : Can't install spybot, please help

shizzbot
2009-09-18, 20:13
I am not entirely sure where to post this but im having problems trying to install spybot. I have had a problem with opening up the program because of of a warning window that said the following path or specific file could not be found and didn't have the permission to access. So i tried renaming the file, but because i didn't have 'permission' to do so i decided to uninstall and re-install spybot. I have downloaded it twice, but it hasn't been installed to my laptop. I use Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zenobia
2009-09-18, 23:16
Are you having other problems with your computer,besides being unable to install Spybot?

shizzbot
2009-09-19, 19:31
A few problems actually. It all started with a 'antivirus' download named Total Security. it disabled all my programs and wouldn't let me open any of them. I then shut down my entire laptop and left it alone for a while. My husband bought Nortan software and when i turned the laptop back on, the Total Security antivirus program was gone, but i still couldn't open up Spybot. I figured i would uninstall it since I didn't have permission to rename it (renaming it helped the last time i couldn't open it).
My Security system in the control panal is missing, everytime i rename a file and try and open it, it asks me what program i would like to use to view the file and whatever caused all these problems has disabled my dvd/cd drive and when i use google or yahoo answers i get directed to different sites other than the ones i want.
Are all these problems fixable or is my laptop a total loss?

Also i found a couple programs i never had before. ScreamingBee and MorphJunior.

Zenobia
2009-09-20, 22:16
Sorry on late reply,it's been a busy weekend.
Those problems are most likely fixable. :)

I suggest asking for help in malware removal.

The instructions are here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Please note,in case you have problems running Hijackthis:

If the infection prevents HJT from running, please start a topic anyway and make note of the situation.

Malware Removal:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

shizzbot
2009-09-21, 08:47
Thank you, I thought I was posting in the right forum but titled my thread wrong and it was moved. Again thank you for your assistance and I will seek help in the malware removal forum.:thanks:

Zenobia
2009-09-21, 09:26
You're welcome.Good luck in malware removal. :)