PDA

View Full Version : Winlogon deleted - now bluescreen

burklert
2009-09-20, 03:25
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice here please!

I was working on my friends laptop a Dell inspiron 1300 tonight getting it ready to update it to xp sp3. I noticed a large number of files that were clearly unwanted processes when i was pruning start up values with ccleaner. I figured before I updated to sp3 that I better sort the virus and trojan problem. I got to the point that I installed spybot after a reboot, once spybot was installed and started, I got a message from spybot stating that it had detected winlogon.exe as a dangerious file and gave me three options. Remind me, delete, ignore. I chose delete and I believe that it was successfully deleted but the laptop blue screened a few seconds later.

So here is where I am at,

-Its a legal windows version, sp2
-he has other viruses on his pc but this was the first one to be removed(well attempted).
-laptop now Blue screens on boot for all modes -normal -all three safe modes and last know config.
-I have tried live cds to access files but knoppix, hirens boot and trinity are ignored by the boot from cd. The system will boot from a windows xp disk.
-I'm guessing there was a secondary file/process on the system that was checking for the trojan winlogon file and thats the problem.

If it comes to it, tomorrow I will go pick up a external 2.5 enclosure and work from my own pc. But before I do that, has anybody any suggestions on how to access the files and more importantly any idea of what needs to be done to get his laptop up and running again.

I'm a long time user of this software and I'd like to thank any helpers.