PDA

View Full Version : too many temporary files

gypsy
2009-09-24, 17:24
Hi, Everytime I go into my spybot check for problems it shows me that I have alot of temporary files to clear up. This has nver happened before. I am clearing the files up more then twice a day. Somebody please tell me what to do to stop all the files it is slowing down my system? I was going to uninstall spybot and then reinstall it,but, I am not sure that is the best thing to do? I believe I am up to date on the version which would be 1.6.2? I would appreciate it if someone could reply back to me and let me know what I have to do? All my scans are clean they show nothing. I am also running Vista home.

Thank You,
gypsy

spybotsandra
2009-09-25, 11:03
Hello,

Temporary files are always created on your pc, you can't stop that.
But if you want you can deactivate the temporary files deleting in Spybot and skip right to the scan if that's it what you want....

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gypsy
2009-09-27, 20:16
Hi, Sandra, I know it is always creating temp files,but, not over 66,000! Please explain to me about deactivating the temp files deleting in Spybot? All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day? There has to be some kind of repair for this?

Thank you,
gypsy

But if you want you can deactivate the temporary files deleting in Spybot and skip right to the scan if that's it what you want....

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot[/QUOTE]

drragostea
2009-09-28, 06:12
This has nver happened before. I am clearing the files up more then twice a day.
The latest build of Spybot-Search&Destroy prompts you to remove your Temp. files when it has reached more than 100 files. The general concept of clearing temp files is to reduce clutter and speed up your Spybot scan. In reality, pretty much all the files in the Temp. folder are useless and some potentially malicious (if a malicious website dropped a little gift in your folder via exploit)...

I am clearing the files up more then twice a day.
Are you sure you are clearing the Windows Temp. files? Not other files?

To be honest, according to you 60,000 Temp. files is more than enough to delay your computer... You have some serious cleaning to do (if the 60K files [count] is actually the Temp. files).

What I would suggest you do is to download ATF Cleaner by Atribune:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25
-
It's a standalone application that requires no install. Open it, select all, and Empty.

All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day?
Either you have a misunderstanding of which is which or you do some serious processing work on your machine...

imageek
2009-09-28, 17:02
Hi, Sandra, I know it is always creating temp files,but, not over 66,000! Please explain to me about deactivating the temp files deleting in Spybot? All of these files are slowing down my system and I have to delete them more than once a day? There has to be some kind of repair for this?

You should download Ccleaner and run a "scan". It deletes all temporary files, your internet log, everything. Downloading site: Www.ccleaner.com (It's free!).

tashi
2009-09-28, 17:23
You should download Ccleaner and run a "scan". It deletes all temporary files, your internet log, everything. Downloading site: Www.ccleaner.com (http://Www.ccleaner.com) (It's free!).

Hi there,

CCleaner has other options one can check beyond cleaning temporary files, so I am adding this link. Registry Cleaners, not recommended (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038)

Cheers. :)

SomaticCorpse
2009-09-28, 19:20
You can change the size of the temporary files folder:

In IE(8)>Tools>Internet Options>Under Browsing History Click 'Settings'>Change the settings for "Disk Space to Use"

You can also check-mark 'Delete Browsing History on Exit'.

Temporary Files can also be cleaned up by: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk CleanUp.

Hope that helps...

drragostea
2009-09-29, 03:43
I'd usually limit both Firefox and IE's Temp. file storage to 50MBs. By default it was up to like 100MB worth of space for IE. Some user's aren't aware of that setting unfortunately.

But that accounts for a portion of the contents in the folder :D. How about installations, uninstallations, MS-Updates? Ah.

gypsy
2009-09-29, 07:48
Hi drragostea, thank you for your reply. All I know is when I check for problems on Spybot it shows me all these temp files to be cleaned then I run my scan and no problems exist it is always a clean scan. I am running Vista on my system. That is all I can tell you. All I know is there is alot of files and I have never had that amount before. Maybe you can suggest something to clean up this mess? I downloaded ccleaner as Sandra suggested and ran the cleaner. I am not sure yet if this cleared it up or not? Please help me figure out this problem.

gypsy

The latest build of Spybot-Search&Destroy prompts you to remove your Temp. files when it has reached more than 100 files. The general concept of clearing temp files is to reduce clutter and speed up your Spybot scan. In reality, pretty much all the files in the Temp. folder are useless and some potentially malicious (if a malicious website dropped a little gift in your folder via exploit)...

Are you sure you are clearing the Windows Temp. files? Not other files?

To be honest, according to you 60,000 Temp. files is more than enough to delay your computer... You have some serious cleaning to do (if the 60K files [count] is actually the Temp. files).

What I would suggest you do is to download ATF Cleaner by Atribune:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25
-
It's a standalone application that requires no install. Open it, select all, and Empty.

Either you have a misunderstanding of which is which or you do some serious processing work on your machine...

gypsy
2009-09-29, 08:01
Hi, SomaticCorpse, I have not downloaded IE8 yet I know alot of people that have had problems with it so I am holding off. As you can see I have other problems right now with all these temp files. Way too many. As far disk cleanup goes I have ran that. There has to be some kind of solution for this. Any help would be appreciated. All my scans come up clean? Spybot, Windows Defender and my antivrus. So if there is problems they are hidden.
Thanks for replying so quickly. I am running Vista.

gypsy

You can change the size of the temporary files folder:

In IE(8)>Tools>Internet Options>Under Browsing History Click 'Settings'>Change the settings for "Disk Space to Use"

You can also check-mark 'Delete Browsing History on Exit'.

Temporary Files can also be cleaned up by: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk CleanUp.

Hope that helps...

drragostea
2009-09-30, 01:43
Hi, SomaticCorpse, I have not downloaded IE8 yet I know alot of people that have had problems with it so I am holding off.
Well, if you know which specific problems that the users were talking about then you would have reconsidered your decision to install Internet Explorer 8. I just simply feel that because other people say that IE8 has "lots of problems" in general does not really mean it has "lots of problems" in reality. It's when you truly use it and experience it for yourself then you can give a rough rating on how "problematic" the browser really is.

Now... CCleaner should have cleared up your Temp. Files when you ran it. Is Spybot still reporting the Temp. files prompt? It shouldn't now that you've cleared them out.

You say that you have a ton of Temp. files, but is your machine actually noticeably slowing down?

gypsy
2009-09-30, 18:56
Hi tashi, I downloaded ccleaner and it also gave me the Yahoo toolbar is it suppose to do that? I did not want the toolbar do I have to keep it? Please let me know? I am still having a very high volume in my Spybot check for problems. When I scan for spyware everything is clean there has to be something else that is causing this and it is not showing up on any of the scans. Thanks

gypsy

Hi there,

CCleaner has other options one can check beyond cleaning temporary files, so I am adding this link. Registry Cleaners, not recommended (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038)

Cheers. :)

tashi
2009-09-30, 19:30
Hi gypsy,

Hi tashi, I downloaded ccleaner and it also gave me the Yahoo toolbar is it suppose to do that? I did not want the toolbar do I have to keep it?

When you download CCleaner it asks the user if they want to install the Yahoo toolbar. The fact that the toolbar is pre-checked is the subject of much discussion as are all pre-checked toolbars. Many users do not read the EULA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement)before clicking yes. ;)

I always uncheck that box when updating CCleaner. Personal choice. :)

Please look in ADD/REMOVE Programs and if it is there you can remove it.

Best regards.

Gopher John
2009-09-30, 21:52
I download the "Slim" build by going to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Note that the downloaded file is smaller, also. No addons with the slim build.

gypsy
2009-10-01, 06:21
Hi Sandra, Ok I found all these files in my Temp. They are ver1A.tmp etc. How do I get rid of all of these for good. They are not taking up anything all of them are 0 bytes? Also can you tell me what Dt2 and Id2 files are? They were listed under Scenes? I would appreciate any advice.

thanks,
gypsy

Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gypsy
2009-10-01, 17:53
Hi Tashi, I went in and deleted the toolbar. Thanks

Hi gypsy,

When you download CCleaner it asks the user if they want to install the Yahoo toolbar. The fact that the toolbar is pre-checked is the subject of much discussion as are all pre-checked toolbars. Many users do not read the EULA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement)before clicking yes. ;)

I always uncheck that box when updating CCleaner. Personal choice. :)

Please look in ADD/REMOVE Programs and if it is there you can remove it.

Best regards.

drragostea
2009-10-02, 02:21
You say that you have a ton of Temp. files, but is your machine actually noticeably slowing down?
Well is it?
CCleaner should have cleaned it up... assuming you have rebooted and used CCleaner. I'm talking about the first tab, the cleaner not the registry.

gypsy
2009-10-02, 08:03
Hi drragostea, I ran ccleaner and all the temp files are still there. They are Ver1A. The temps files are around 65,564. I also run ccleaner at startup. I am using the first tab cleaner I first analyze then run cleaner. I have not clue what these temp files are or where they are coming from? All of them are 0 bytes. Put our thinking cap on and see if you can come up with an answer. I have also gone into my temp file,but, there are too many to delete one at a time. I have Vista let me know how I can delete all of these at one time?

thanks,
gypsy

Well is it?
CCleaner should have cleaned it up... assuming you have rebooted and used CCleaner. I'm talking about the first tab, the cleaner not the registry.

drragostea
2009-10-03, 02:15
Well, at the moment since the my question was not answered, I'll assume that there are no current noticeable slowdowns on your Vista machine.

Could you select hundreds of them and drag and drop to the Recycle Bin?