PDA

View Full Version : Unable to do any diagnostics or run Spybot, etc.

wewpt
2009-09-27, 17:20
Have read other threads carefully including the readme's, and did see some similar descriptions, not sure what to do at this point without getting some advice.

Running xp pro sp3, recently tried to run Spybot to update it, it started to load, then I got an error stating 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.'

At this point I tried to reboot, XP just locked up, had to do a hard reset to reboot. Shut Down, Restart did nothing, I just sat on my desktop.

After a reboot I ran my anti-virus first (Avira Personal) and it found nothing.

=====

**It should be noted that Avira has settings in the options to protect its own processes and prevent it from being shut down or interfered with, is there a way to make Spybot do this as well?

=====

Spybot would not run, teatimer was not loaded on startup as I had set it. Even after uninstalling it (Spybot), 2 files could not be deleted even after another reboot. spybotsd.exe and a dll file (spybot is not currently reinstalled). I had to use another program to remove these files before I could attempt a reinstall (program called 'Unlocker').

I tried running hijackthis, it did the same thing pretty much, it runs, starts scanning, then quits. If I try to run it again, I get the same error I got when trying to run spybot.

I noticed in the case of spybot, the spybotsd.exe file was marked as hidden (is this normal?).

I also tried various online scanners, which would also quit while running.

As a test, after hijackthis gave me the error, I replaced the exe file and tried to run it again, it runs without the initial error, but after it starts to scan, the error comes back.

Am also unable to boot to safe mode, after waiting 20+ minutes, the machine just reboots.

Event logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

I was able to run erund and backup my registry.

Not sure what to do now, am really worried that if I run my email, etc, that something bad is going to happen :(

Any help?

Wewpt

wewpt
2009-09-27, 23:00
After running some diagnostics of my own, and gleaning info from other posts here, I managed to identify 14 different malware/spyware issues. Upon further research determined I'd be better off wiping my hdd and starting over.

I know I didn't get a response, but I only recently posted it so not surprised.

You people are amazing. Regardless of a response I can see you're all going above and beyond to help people fix their problems.

At the moment I'm financially strapped but once I am able, I will be making a donation to support the work you people are doing, keep it up :)

Sincerely,

Wewpt

tashi
2009-10-07, 07:42
Thank you Wewpt, safe surfing. :)