PDA

View Full Version : Possible SKYNET rootkit? Cannot run any log programs or virus removal tools

laborday95
2009-09-25, 15:52
I am working on a DELL XPS 400 running Windows XP with service pack 3. I cannot run any of the programs requested in the "BEFORE YOU POST" section. They do not even install. No error message or anything, just nothing happens.

I initially thought it was Police Pro, and maybe that was the initial problem (my naive nephew was lured in by their panic popup), but further scrutiny has turned up other things. Initially I couldn't run any executables, but fixed that in the registry. I deleted all Police Pro related files and registry entries.

I did run GMER to take a look at things, but when I tried to run a full scan, got the blue screen of death. I rebooted, ran again, but did not do a full scan. I just looked at what it found initially. It found 2 services that I believe are the problem: SKYNET (the file is SKYNETuhqcyfma.sys) and UACd.sys (filename is UACysfpctceqs.sys). It says it has files in system32\drivers directory, but I cannot find them.

One post on another website forum I found says you have to use the Recovery Console to get rid of this. This is my brother-in-law's PC, and it did not come with an Operating System CD. It came with a nice piece of cardboard that says I don't need an O/S cd, just do a Dell PC restore. Well, the problem is I cannot backup their files/settings. When I try to do it through system utilities (File Transfer Wizard), it starts, but then gets killed in the process and low and behold, if I try to run it again, it tells me I "do not have appropriate permissions to access the item." :hair:

I am able to run GMER and Win32kDIag, but that's about it. Every other scan tool, you name it, it will not run.

Soooooooo my question is, is it possible to get rid of this nasty SKYNET UACd rootkit thing, or do I need to do a system restore and just lose all of my brother-in-law's data and settings?

Thanks in advance to any help or answers.

tashi
2009-10-05, 21:26
Hello laborday95,

Your two following posts were removed as per forum FAQ.

I know mods don't like "advice" given by someone other than the professionals, but you guys are obviously swamped, and most people may not have 4 days to wait. So I'm going to tell what fixed my problem in hopes it can help someone else. If you have to remove my post, that is fine, but all the posts I'm seeing seem similar to my problem. I personally say let the readers discern if this is something they want to try
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If someone posts advice to others in their own topic as in, "this worked for me", it will be removed. Just so you know. ;)
I finally tried running Combofix. I know, I know, dangerous tool, at your own risk, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't understand all the warnings. It's not an interactive tool. I would think the repair console is riskier than running a script like Combofix.The developer of ComboFix does not wish users to run the tool without supervision.

Our sticky:
Do NOT run 'FIXES' (ComboFix etc) without being asked (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16806)

NOTE: ComboFix is not a general purpose cleaning tool!
It should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained and continues their education in its use.
Of course, I am not a professional, just a formet techie who is now a stay-at-home mom and likes to help her friends and family fix their computer problems. :)
Our trained volunteer analysts do their best to help users remove malware safely. ;)