PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Spybot - Search and Destroy

Melsdad
2009-10-11, 21:24
I am trying to clean up my daughter's laptop which had SpybotSD installed as part of her protection scheme.

When I started working, SBSD would not work. I then uninstalled the program from the Control Panel. There were some remnants remaining and I think I have manage to remove all but one: the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in Program Files.

I have been reading entries in this forum and see that I am not alone. However, everything I have tried has failed. I finally renamed the stubborn installation folder and attempted a new install. When I tried to run SBSD, I got the following message:

C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy\spybotSD.exe
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

Closer investigation shows that neither SpybotSD.exe nor randomname.scr are in the Program Files Folder.

It appears that whatever has attacked this PC is preventing the removal of the previous installation file and the installation of a fresh copy of Spybot.

I am afraid that until I get Spybot back on its feet, I will never be able to remove the attacking malware.

Will somebody please help?

Matt
2009-10-11, 21:41
Hi Melsdad,

:welcome: to Safer Networking Forums.

You should do that (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=304562&postcount=2). ;)